Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Is it common for a Cruise company who have changed the date

Is it common for a Cruise company who have changed the date of our cruise to demand that, should you wish to transfer your deposit to another, the new cruise must be 75% of the cost of the original ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We’re in w sussex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Tried to book another cruise with Fred Olsen, a shorter cheaper one so that didn’t loose £1501 deposit but advised that need to book one to the value of 75% of original =£7500
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Have been liaising with Southampton cruises , a Jason Peters, who advised us to try a cheaper one so as not to loose deposit paid in 2021 for cruise embarking Feb 2023 for my husband 80 th birthday, cruise been changed by Fred Olsen to Feb 2024

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above. For the avoidance of doubt, presumably I would be correct to presume that if the cruise company has altered the date of the original cruise you booked, they have offered a refund as an alternative to booking a new cruise. Is that correct please?

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms if the cruise company cancels your existing cruise or attempts to substantively change the dates of the cruise, this would amount to a breach of contract on their part and they would be liable to offer you a refund.

as an alternative, they may offer an alternative cruise which it would be entirely within your discretion whether to accept or reject in favour of a refund. If you were minded to accept an alternative cruise, the cruise line in those circumstances would be entitled to impose such conditions as it reasonably sees fit including a minimum spend threshold on that replacement cruise save of course for the proviso that it is always open to you to demand a refund instead

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Many thanks for that. Am waiting on a response from customer relations to see what they come up with.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Will do thanks

I'm very glad the above was of some assistance

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.