Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

What is uk minimum salary? I am 45, work full time, and live

Customer Question

Hi. What is uk minimum salary? I am 45, work full time, and live in rent free accommodation, tied to my job. Thank you.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, I was expecting my salary to increase with minimum wage, in April.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

for the avoidance of doubt, may I clarify this relates to an immigration query or simply that of minimum pay in the UK please?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No immigration query, just uk. I know the hourly minimum wage, but want to know how that equates to a salary, with tied accommodations.
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

thank you. From April of this year, the National minimum wage was increased to £9.50 per hour for adults over the age of 23.

there is no such thing as a minimum salary because salaries but based on the number of contracted hours you are required to work under your employment contract, your salary should be a minimum of a multiple of the number of hours you are contracted to work multiplied by the minimum wage above.

So for example if you are contracted to work 35 hours per week then you should be paid (35 x 52 x £9.50) = £17,290

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok, so I am contracted to work 40hrs a week. What about annual leave and my tied accommodation?
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

Are you charged money for your accomodation?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, it is tied with my job
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

So it is free with no deduction made?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
that is obviously reflected in my wages. I am currently on £16500, but was expecting a raise in April, that hasn't happened.
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

may I clarify - is a deduction made for accomodation from your wages? If so what amount is deducted each month or week?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No deduction made
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

thank you. If no deduction is made from your  wages for the accommodation, then an "offset rate" of £8.70 applies per day to your wage for the accommodation.

Accordingly factoring in the above offset into your wages I calculate that your minimum salary per year based on 40 hours per week should be at least £16,593.20 so it looks like you may be very slightly short of minimum wage.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok, thank you for your time.
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry, one more question. Where does council tax fit in? Should I be paying it or is it included in the £8.70 a day?
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

there is no deduction allowed for council tax and utilities and the like. As above, where accommodation is provided for free, a standard offset of £8.70 per day is allowed

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok, thank you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Just to clarify, if I pay council tax myself, that puts me well below minimum wage?
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

I'm afraid there are no other deductions that are allowable in terms of calculation of minimum wage.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok, a bit of a grey area then!
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

The position is relatively clear cut I think. a fixed offset rate of £8.70 applies where you are provided with free accommodation which is deducted from your wage per day before working out minimum wage. as we have discussed, based on the above calculation, it seems that you are ever so slightly below minimum wage but only by just over £93 per year.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But much more if I pay the council tax on my accommodation?
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

Council tax is disregarded - I quite appreciate it makes a big difference to your disposable income (as it does for us all to a greater or lesser extent) but it is not a factor that can be used to determine minimum wage.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok, thank you
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 8 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 8 days ago.
I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.