How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I’d like to ask question about tenancy. United Kingdom, No

Customer Question

Hello, I’d like to ask question about tenancy.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps for now, need a little advice about document I’m about to write. Have my tenancy contract till August, but my housemate let her boyfriend stay in there (he is drugs addict and spent 36hrs in jail last year, because he attacked his housemate), and I’m not feeling safe and I’m very uncomfortable about him being there, but she doesn’t listen, doesn’t care and just saying it’s her flat too and she won’t tell him go away. I want to move out earlier, but I don’t have the money for paying two rents. She agrees with me moving out earlier, but I need some document or contract she will pay everything by herself, otherwise she can make me to pay rent or sue me for the money. Just wanted to ask if I can just write it by myself and let her sign it, or it has to be some official legal document with some witnesses?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I am very sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if you have involved the landlord in the above circumstances to date please?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Well he know I’m going to move out in August. That happened last week, and I’m trying to move out ASAP, coz I’m really scared what he could do. Not sure if I can actually move out earlier, just don’t want to have some other problems with the Agency about moving out earlier
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

thank you. Is the landlord aware of the occupation of the property by your flatmates boyfriend and if so, have they taken any steps in this regard?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, not yet. She is waiting and forcing me to move out, because she is pregnant and want my room for the baby. But my contract suppose to finish in August and not sure if I can go there that I will move out now.
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

thank you. Finally, do you have sufficient knowledge of her financial status to know whether she is able to afford to cover your share of the rent?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Well, with her boyfriend yes, without her boyfriend she wants to go to the council ask for money as she states she is going to be “single mother”
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

thank you. Is her boyfriend also willing to provide a guarantee to you?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Not sure about it. I’m scared even talk to him, he doesn’t really like me
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

thank you. It does not seem to me that a guarantee from your housemate is worth very much from what you say. A guarantee only has a value commensurate with the person giving it. If she is proposing to apply for benefits, this would imply at least that she probably does not have much in the way of resources to cover the rent making any guarantee she gives you are probably limited value.

You will probably need to consider seeking a guarantee from both her and her boyfriend if you are to place any value or reliance on the same.

Otherwise, you may be better off considering whether to replace yourself as a tenant though this may not be straightforward if the housemate is resistant to this.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you, that’s really helpful
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.