Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I would like some advice, England, none, no

Customer Question

hello, I would like some advice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. My name is Stuart. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today. I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law. Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

Can I have the full background detail please and in particular what you want to know about this? Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Stuart, I have an issue with B and Q. I paid for a kitchen on 7/04/22 during their promotion - at the time I asked the assistant whether he could add more discounts due to the value of my purchase. which he duly did. the cost of the kitchen was 4,400 pounds which I paid by cash. subsequently the store manager said the assistant had given too much discount and so the sale needed to be cancelled. They gave me a partial cash refund and there 1,811 pounds left that they need to give back to me in cash. The cheque was approved by the store manager and I was told it will take 14 working days to arrive in the post. I waited patiently but since it did not arrive I went to the store yesterday and the manager has now told me that head office has decided to cancel my cheque. And they would not say anymore. My question is can they do this and what can I do to get my money back
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

Let me get this right.

You pay GBP4400 in cash for the kitchen.

For whatever reason they cancelled the sale and they have given you GBP1811 back in cash and they have said that the balance, (2589) would come by cheque in 14 days but for whatever reason they have now decided that head office is not going to let you have that?

So at the moment they have 2589 of your money for doing absolutely nothing? Is that it?

If it is, and I find it absolutely bizarre in the extreme.

I would put it in writing to them that they have until 4 PM on Friday, 20 May 2022 refund you in full (plus interest!) Failing which you will issue Small Claims Court proceedings without further notice. To be frank if that is it I am absolutely appalled.

The new Moneyclaim beta system is easy to use: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

the new system is much better than the old government Gateway system.

You can prepare the proceedings now, at your leisure, save them, and then just pay the fee and press the button when the deadline in your letter before action, expires.

It's then just a case of following the court process and responding to any emails that you receive.

There is no reason why you couldn’t put something on trust pilot provided nothing you put is defamatory. However looking at all the bad reviews, it would appear they couldn’t care less because they don’t reply to any of them. So it’s not going to do you any good and therefore I would probably avoid a bad review. It’s interesting that out of 3269 reviews, 78% are bad.

If the circumstances are any different, please let me know and I can amend my answer for you if necessary.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much Stuart you have been very helpful.. I will revert if I have anything further.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

Thank you. I’m glad to help.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Stuart