How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4406
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I bought a gift card called Vanilla One from WH Smith’s and

This answer was rated:

I bought a gift card called Vanilla One from WH Smith’s and loaded it with £100. A birthday gift for my son. It doesn’t work, in-store or on-line and WHS acknowledge there has been a problem but that they are not liable. Is that true? Vanilla is honouring nothing. What can I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cardiff
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i went to the shop. They let me photo a letter they had from head office saying to withdraw from sale. My son went in Vanilla website, full of similar complaints and frustration
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: only that I have a photoed copy of the letter. And a receipt
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. You entered into an agreement with WHS in purchasing the card and not the manufacturer.

As the item is faulty you do have a legal right as against WHS under the Consumer Rights Act for them to address this issue. I would recommend writing to the head office advising of this.

I also recommend advising of your intention to report the matter to trading standards on the basis that they have breached the Consumer Rights Act if they do not address this concern.

You may report this matter to trading standards if they do not take any positive steps to address this. You may do this using the below link,Report%20a%20business%20to%20Trading%20Standards,to%20you%20within%205%20days

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No that’s really helpful and what I believed but WHS are brazening it out. I shall follow all these suggestions. Many thanks.

You are welcome all the best,

ReadyLaw and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you