How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6018
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I live in a hostel and I paid for all the month, can the

This answer was rated:

Good morning, I live in a hostel and I paid for all the month , can the landlord kick me out without notice or without court order ?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: London
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Nothing of this I should just keep my room clean Today he forced my room trying to collect my stuff and put me in the street I stopped him and call the police,I'm waiting for them but now he removed the door from my room
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I ve been forced assaulted and trying to evicted me without reason Or order

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read it, and if I do, they will appear in my next response. It is important you answer all the questions I ask, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response.

JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm very scared Sash, without notice or court order the landlord wanna put me in the street and today he removed the door too

What type of tenancy agreement do you have?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Only this , I never had a proper document
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is a license agreement
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The landlord is trying to say Is a hostel so he can kick me whenever

What reason has your landlord given for wanting you to leave?  Have you missed payments?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Never miss payment, he don't like me and don't want me here anymore, but even if a Hostel ( I still think is HMO) the month is payed and even police say yesterday that he cant

Did he give you notice to leave?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
but the document don't look authentic
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
One week notice

Please attach it.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (265S7VT)

Please don't attach irrelevant documents. I asked for the notice.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (QPS63P7)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
this is better , sorry for my mistakes but it was an hard day

What breaches have taken place?

Well, one week's notice is appropriate, given that your licence doesn't state a notice period, but does say your rent is paid weekly, which means that the licensor can give you a week's notice to leave.  He would, of course, have to repay any additional money you had paid in advance.

Now, the question is what type of licence you have, whether it is a licence in relation to a residential property, which would provide you with protection from eviction (licensor would need a possession order), or whether you are an excluded licensee, which means you have no protection from eviction.

A license is excluded if it is a hostel, if it is granted by a local authority to house a homeless person for temporary accommodation, if the licensor shares the premises, if it's granted for holiday purposes, and there is no intention to create legal relations.

Your licence appears, on the face of it, to be an excluded licence.  As such the licensor can evict you.  However, before you accept that, I strongly suggest you go to the local authority housing department and ask them if, as you think, the property is actually not a hostel, but an HMO.  They can review all your documentation and check if the property is registered.  If it is an HMO, you're actually a tenant and have full protection from eviction.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i think that i find the proof that this is a shared house , please read the last two strings of the advert of this house
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (GM17755)
Customer: replied 15 days ago. is the link of the ad

Good, you can take that along to the local authority as advised.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
bless,you , im calling the police

Yes, do call the police, but also the local authority as they deal with illegal evictions.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
sorry what you mean for local authority ? the council ??


If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FOR SASH_Law ONLY in the subject heading, or, once you have rated this question you will be able to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. When you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law. 

All the best!

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you