Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I need to know how to make my boyfriend from Spain my common

Customer Question

Hi, I need to know how to make my boyfriend from Spain my common law partner in the UK, London, so he can live and work with me
JA: Has your partner talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your partner live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: No he has not. He lives in Spain. The question relates to the UK
JA: What steps has your partner taken so far?
Customer: He has only been in the UK twice as a tourist
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no, thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.
I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.
Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

What do you mean by 'common law' partner please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He is 23 and I am 22 and we do not want to get married, but we want him to be able to be legal and work in the UK
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We want to get to get a common law partner agreement
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

English law does not recognise a common law relationship so you are asking for something which firstly doesn’t exist and secondly even if you found one, it won’t do what you want to do.

You would need to get engaged and have a Family Visa.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
how could we get engaged?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

There is no legal requirement to getting engaged but normally one buys the other an engagement ring (usually the male gives the ring to the female) and you make “an announcement”. Then your engaged. No formality

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
then how do we proceed on getting the family visa?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

Here is some reading on just that from the government:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Can I help you any further with this?

I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask.

Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
hi
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

Hello again. Was there something else?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi there. Thank you for your help. I have had a look at the link you sent me regarding my question. I wanted to ask if it is a good idea to get a proposed civil partnership here in Spain ( We just got to Spain 3 days ago and we are looking to stay around 2 months). I thought maybe it is easier to get it done here and take it to the UK and the process might be easier?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have the UK settlement. I been living in the UK since 2013. I have been with my partner for nearly 2 years and we are aware that we need to be together for minimum 2 years to apply for the family visa, so we are currently waiting until 25th July so we can reach our 2 years relationship. We lived together for the first 14 months of our relationship as I was not working nor studying in the UK so I came to Spain for a few months but end up staying 14 months.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We do have a 1 year contract of us rent a flat in my grandmothers big 4 floor house, the contract is from here Spain
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

I don’t know what civil partnership law is in Spain but if you got married in Spain or had a civil partnership (if they have them) you wouldn’t necessarily have the 2 year wait before applying.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Then, I wanted him to visit the UK, meet my mothers house and see what type of life I have,so he came to London with me for a few months to visit and have time off as he worked alot in Spain looking after both of us. I started working Full time in from October 2021 and recieved income up to March 2022.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
if we get the civil partnership here now in Spain, when we go back to London, will I have to work and have an income first before applying for his visa?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Because I am going to stay here in Spain until August (I dont know the exact date yet), and I am meant to be starting studying University in September, and I will probably also get a job but I am not sure if I will get a fulltime job as I will be getting my student loan.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for the extra information.

Can I help you any further with this?

Stuart

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Have you not seen my question?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

I apologise the question about you having to work?. Yes, you will need to have income of at least GBP18,000 per annum

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What if I do not have it and I get there and am studying getting loan + part time or full time job.and we will be living with my mother who works? This will be happening in September
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Because what if he was to come to the Uk by himself? How would he be able to get the right to work?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

He can’t come to the UK by himself. He has to come to you. You have to have enough income that he isn’t going to ever want to rely on any kind of state assistance.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay. So If i come in September I should start uni and also get a full time. And he should come with me and wait until I have the job and income of a minimum of 3 months?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

You have to have the income before he applies for the Visa