JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

I pay child maintenance to my ex partner of £305 a month as

Customer Question

Hi I pay child maintenance to my ex partner of £305 a month as I'm currently unable to have my daughter stay with me and this has made getting my own flat ie renting a flat privately very difficult even though when I do get my own place the payments will be reduced because my daughter can the stay with me but my main concern is am I entitled to any benefits what so ever I am in full time employment
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Chichester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 16 days ago.
Good afternoon and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in family law and dispute resolution so I'd be happy to offer some guidance on this matter.I'll need a little more information to fully answer your question. First and foremost, how old is your daughter? Is the current arrangement a private financial arrangement or do you pay via the Child Maintenance Service?Thanks, J
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My daughter is 7 and I pay her mum directly on the first of every month it through CMS
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I pay directly into her mums bank account so no money actually goes through CMS
Hello again and thanks for the additional information. I'm just reading it now.
OK, so you pay £305. What that an actual CMS assessment?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
it was a CMS assessment
If it was a CMS assessment, you could ask for a mandatory reconsideration of the amount you pay, however, you have to show that you incur 'special expenses' - like the cost of travel to see your child, school fees or debts with your former partner - if you want it reduced.There is a very good website that is worth checking to find out your entitlement to benefits. I'll post a link.
https://www.betteroffcalculator.co.uk/calculator/new/step1
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I incur £120 on top of what I pay just in fuel to get my daughter to school and every other week I feed her after school I feel like I'm being taken advantage of off
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will check out the website thank you
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 15 days ago.
Good evening. I note I haven't heard from you since yesterday afternoon. Can I clarify anything for you? J
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The website doesn't clear up anything
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 13 days ago.
Good evening. I note I haven't heard anything further from you after my initial follow-up. Thanks again for the question and for using Just Answer. Kind regards, J