Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have an idea for an invention and was wondering if I could

Customer Question

Hi, yes I have an idea for an invention and was wondering if I could speak with a lawyer about getting a patent on it? Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken with a supplier that can create the patent but that is all
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that is all, thank you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, I am a able to speak with a lawyer about my invention? Thank you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.

please feel free to give me a call my number is *****

Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.
What is your intention with this invention and what is it?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it is a pocket inside a sports bra that would hold the end of necklaces - so that when women are running the necklace doesnt bounce up and down
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Does that make sense?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

This is a job for a patent agent not a lawyer. It is unlikely you would find a lawyer who has the necessary skills and expertise to deal with this. It is certainly not a DIY job if you have never done it before. You need to remember however that just because you came up with an idea doesn’t mean that it is patentable. In order for it to be patentable it has to have unique features. You cannot patent a new way of using something which already exists. So for example you cannot patent a screwdriver which is being used in some kind of door lock instead of a key. I am of course exaggerating to prove the point.

Actually putting the patent application together as a dark art on its own.

For it to be patentable it must be new, inventive, capable of industrial application and must not fall into the excluded categories of artistic creations, mathematical methods, certain computer programmes and certain business schemes.

The government have kindly put together these webpages on exactly this subject.

https://www.gov.uk/patent-your-invention

Unfortunately, yours could potentially come under a simple modification to something that already exists.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Can I help you any further with this?

I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask.

Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart