Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

It’s a story but i’ll try to be brief so basically i am

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: It’s a long story but i’ll try to be brief so basically i am separated with my ex girlfriend but we have a child which is almost three years old
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: so we coparenting we try to organize who stays with the child when we working
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes so last year i had financial challenges meaning i wasn’t paying any child support as i wasn’t getting help from the government either on the other side my ex partner is getting universal creditCustomer: Chat is completed
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. My name is Stuart. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today. I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law. Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 days ago.

You need a Child arrangement order if you can’t agree what’s happening with the child.

Fortunately, there is a lot of information on the Internet about Child Arrangement orders and the government have actually produced a guide on the subject which is here.

https://www.gov.uk/looking-after-children-divorce

The different types of Child Arrangement order are:

1 A Contact Order which specifies when parent sees a child, it is no longer called "access".

2 A Residence Order to determine who the child lives with, it is no longer called "custody"

3 A Prohibited Steps Order to prevent a parent doing something with the child such as moving away either in this country miles away or taking the child to another country. Particularly relevant if there is a chance that the parent would go to another country and never return. The parent wishing to prevent the move would have to convince the court why it’s not in the best interest of the child to move. Friends, support, school et cetera et cetera all taken into account.

A Prohibited Steps Order is to prevent child Abduction and it’s one of the few areas of law for which legal aid is sometimes still available. It’s often therefore worth seeing a solicitor.

4 A Specific Issue Order to allow a parent to do something specific with the child such as moving away to another part of the country or indeed to another country. . The parent wishing to move would have to prove why it’s not in the best interest of the child to move.. Friends, support, school et cetera et cetera all taken into account. It would also encompass things such as changing school if the parents cannot agree, changing the child's name, and anything other specific.

The courts will not get involved in a Contact or Residence order unless the couple have been to mediation first. So the couple would have to try mediation even if it subsequently fails and the matter proceeds to court. That doesn't apply however if something is required in an emergency such as a Prohibited Steps Order.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sure thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 days ago.

Hello again.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Stuart

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We were not married and I am the ex boyfriend.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 days ago.

I gather that. Thank you