How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26407
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

Hiya, my brother has recently passed away and he doesn't

Customer Question

Hiya, my brother has recently passed away and he doesn't have any money to pay for his funeral, as he's on benefits, are they able to help fund his funeral?
JA: Estate laws vary by location. Where are you located?
Customer: I'm in malton, but my brother is in haxby york
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: What documents do you require?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The only money he had left was his last benefits, which I have as he died the same day he was due to get them.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.
I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.
Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 days ago.

My condolences.

Where was your brother living and did he have any other family?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 days ago.

In a nutshell, nobody can be compelled to pay for a relative’s funeral if the relative didn’t leave enough money to bury them. In that case, the local authority will pay for the most basic cremation.

Don’t instruct the undertaker to do anything otherwise you will become responsible for the bills. Tell the undertaker what the situation is and they will guide you towards the relevant department at the local authority that will provide assistance with the cost.

With regard to debts in general, if he has no money, his debts die with him.

When you have the death certificate simply send a copy to anybody who writes asking for money saying that he lived in rented accommodation, he was on benefits he’s got no money and therefore please write off any outstanding balance and close the account.

99% of people will simply accept that. Deal with the other 1% on an individual basis but eventually they will get fed up of writing.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards

Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 days ago.

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Can I help you any further with this? I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask. Kind regards Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 days ago.

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart