MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Do you help with council tax reduction rules in London? UK

Customer Question

Do you help with council tax reduction rules in London?
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: UK London
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just need to know what to do with council
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

To give you an overview of your enquiry, there are two sets of Council Tax Reduction rules, which rules apply usually depending on whether you’ve reached State Pension age.

(1) If you’re under State Pension age, the ‘working age CTR rules’ apply.
(2) If you’ve reached the State Pension age, the ‘pension age CTR rules’ usually apply.
(3) Even if you’ve reached the State Pension age, the working-age CTR rules will apply if you or your partner get:

• Universal Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support

The pension-age CTR rules are usually more generous than the working-age CTR rules. If you have a partner and one of you is under the State Pension age, it’s usually best for the person who’s reached the State Pension age to apply.

In this case, if you’re eligible for Council Tax Reduction (CTR), it is best to apply as soon as you can.

You can apply early if you know when you’re going to be eligible. If you apply early, you won’t have to wait as long to get CTR when you become eligible. You can apply for CTR up to 8 weeks before you’re first responsible for paying council tax on your home - for example, if you haven’t moved in yet.

However, if you’re already responsible for paying council tax, you can apply for CTR up to 13 weeks before you become eligible for CTR - for example, if you’ve recently found out you’ll be made redundant. You can make the application up to 17 weeks early if the pension age CTR rules apply to you - or if they will apply to you by the time you become eligible.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello, I registered to your service and have been told it will be free for 7 days before payment for membership, and than I sew a £5 payment without my agreement. Please return me that money as I didn't want to pay that.

Hi. Unfortunately, the experts have no access to client billings. This matter will be taken care of by customer service. If you want to query anything about billing and charges, please contact customer services directly: https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us