Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I tried to cancel a renewal of a van insurance but the

Customer Question

I tried to cancel a renewal of a van insurance but the company ignored me and took money from my bank account without my permission.Now they don't want to give me a refund.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Birmingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I called them various times they said they've never received the emails i sent for the cancellation.I have sent them pictures to show the emails that i have sent that i don't want to be renewed but still nothing.Also they have sent me an email for me to sign document so they can legally take the money out of my bank account but i've never signed them.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Well i have managed to cancel it within the cooling off period of 14 days and i should receive a refund according to the documents.But yet nothing
Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

I am very sorry to read of the above. This is presumably a commercial van insurance. Is that correct please?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

1. thank you. from what you say, you are satisfied that you gave notice to cancel the policy within the initial 14 day cooling off period. Do you have proof that you gave that notice - e.g. a copy?
  2. has the insurer given you any reason or justification for refusing a refund?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
i have an email from them that the policy is cancelled but i wanted to cancel it before the renewal i also have proof of emails sent to themNo raeson was given to me except that they said they did not receive the emails i have sent
Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for the clarification. Before I address the question you raise specifically, there clarify if you cancelled the new police within the cooling off period, have they not refunded you the policy premium anyway less a small deduction for any period of insurance during the cooling off period? in other words, is the amount involved not relatively small or is it that it is but you nevertheless object to paying them anything?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's not small amount and i should not pay anything!
Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

1. Thank you. do you have evidence of the notice(s) that you sent cancelling the policy? e.g. a record of the sent emails?
  2. Did you send the notice in time in accordance with the terms and conditions? If you are not sure, you have a link to the terms and conditions so I can check this point?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
i have pictures of the emails and i also kept them
And yes it was on time about a month before the renewal started
Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

thank you. Without sight of the terms and conditions, I will have to rely on your confirmation that you gave notice in time though I do not doubt your assurance that you did. Providing you did give notice in time and you sent an email to the correct address, then whether or not the insurance company received your email would not determine whether the policy was in deed cancelled if the terms and conditions allow you to give notice by email.

Accordingly, in the first instance you may consider raising a formal complaint with the insurer setting out your above concerns and asking for a refund of all monies that were debited in relation to the renewal. This triggers a strict eight week timetable for the insurer to respond to you. If they do not respond within eight weeks or you are not satisfied as to their response when they do, you can escalate your complaint to the financial ombudsman for an independent determination:

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.
I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.