JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I was recently sectioned, not for the first time and, again,

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I was recently sectioned, not for the first time and, again, without due cause. A fellow 'inmate' and i want to make a case against both The Hospital STAFF and The Mental Health Act in general, as I believe it breaks The Human Rights Act
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Maida Vale, London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Sally is arranging a meeting (she is still "inside") with me, her father (very powerful, VERY supportive, her Advocate and her brother (who thinks we have a a strong case to 24/5 to plan the campaign. Both Sally and I have strong supporting evidence. But, of course, we need good legal advice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that covers it
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Pearl, I have completed the credit card application but (this drives me bezerk!) it wants to send me an SMS confirmation text and I've lost my phone!!! Help
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

We can't give legal advice as we are not a law firm (we are an internet forum) - we are limited to online Q&A information and guidance from a legal standpoint.

If you are planning to make a claim for breach of your human rights, you will need a lawyer for this - you may qualify for a no win no fee agreement with nothing to pay up front. Or you may qualify for legal aid in a case like this.

Under the Mental Health Act 2005 you can be detained against your will if you have a psychological illness and by not detaining you, this would either pose a risk to yourself or others (or both). You can make a complaint to the managers of your NHS or private hospital. If this does not help, you can then ask your Care Quality Commission (CQC) to investigate the complaint - you need to contact CQC Mental Health Act, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle, NE1 4PA (by post) or by telephone: 03000 616161 (then press 1 to speak to the mental health team). Or you could email them :***@******.***.

You should also contact your local Healthwatch who are patient's consumer champions and they can assist with the complaint.

Yours can be found here: https://www.healthwatch.co.uk

You could also ask your local Member of Parliament (MP) to look in to the complaint - they could exert some pressure.

Your local MP can be found here: https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP
As for a claim for compensation, a law firm will be required as I say - any of the following could assist you with this :

1. https://www.hja.net/legal-services/civil-liberties-and-human-rights/human-rights/

2. https://www.duncanlewis.co.uk/HumanRights.html

3. https://www.leighday.co.uk/our-services/human-rights/

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JimLawyer.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That was no help at all, thanks for nothing
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 days ago.
Sorry to hear. You're welcome to ask for a second opinion which is no extra cost. 

Have a good evening.

Jim

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Jim, sorry. Re-read your advice and it is vey helpfulThankyoupeter
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.
No problem, thanks
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
please don,t say Call Me for £44. I have neither £44 nor a phone
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.
I won’t. That’s an automated message so it’s not from me. If you have an issue with the site or any billing queries please speak to customer services - the email address is***@******.***.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
cool
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.