MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I’m trying to rent a property and the estate agent has taken

I’m trying to rent a property and the estate agent has taken 12months rent off me a month before move in date, the contract has been signed by both the estate agent, me and the landlord but it’s not been executed by the estate agency director. And now they have moved the move in date
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Richmond, surrey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: reported to who?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

In most cases, private landlords ask you to pay at least a month’s rent in advance. Your landlord will usually ask for a tenancy deposit, too.

If you pay rent in advance and a deposit at the same time, you should make sure it's clear:

• what each payment is for
  • how much rent is covered by the payment

You should ask for a receipt if you pay cash for your rent in advance or deposit.

Also, there's no legal limit on how many monthly or weekly advance payments you can be charged. If you have complaints regarding the estate agency you should raise a complaint to them since they have taken you a twelve months advance rental payment.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can I sure them for changing the dates after the contract has been signed with the move date and they now want to change the date?

If they want to change the date, both of you will have to agree. Changes to a tenancy agreement are usually only possible if both you and your landlord agree. If both of you agree, the change should be documented in writing, either by creating a newly written document outlining the tenancy's terms or by changing the existing written rental agreement.

I can see you have requested a telephone call. Is this correct?

I'm not able to take calls at the moment, but the request will be open to other Experts to help you. I am however available and happy to continue chatting on the platform.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.