How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Solicitor4All Your Own Question
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7551
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
Solicitor4All is online now

I am an international student, with loans unpaid in my home

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am an international student, with loans unpaid in my home country. I have written to the loan company to give me time to repay and restructure, but they insist I pay the full amount. Please I want to know if they are in a position to report me to the home office and what effect this can have on my visa?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have only written them to restructure but they are threatening legal actions against me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I have told you all
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 14 days ago.
Good evening, welcome to just answer.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
good evening
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 14 days ago.

I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
okay. thank you.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no, I cant pay for that
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 14 days ago.

When you apply for your visa extension there is a question on any civil judgments or civil proceedings either in the UK or elsewhere so if it is just loans but no court judgments then you will be fine, their report would not have an impact on your prospect of securing the visa. If they know about this question they may sue you in court and get the judgment but they would have to time their notification to the UKVI with when you will be applying because the home office will not store that information. What you would have to worry about is the ukvi contacting your home country to check for any civil judgments and although a possibility it does not happen much, criminal convictions are more readily available between nations and not civil judgments.

Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for giving us your enquiry to look into. Please do not hesitate to revert back should you need us to assist further, We appreciate the opportunity to help you. All the best.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
okay thank you. In the meantime, do you have any tips on what I say to the loan company to get them to restructure?
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 14 days ago.
You are welcome. It depends on whether the information was provided to you with the materials or not. If it was then you could say it is such a material consideration that you ought to specifically signpost students to the material because for any number of personal reasons students may be forced to leave a course and knowing of the financial penalty in advance would give one the knowledge to make an informed decision…
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hello, sorry I don't quite understand your response. Please can you rephrase?
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 13 days ago.

Good evening, You had asked me what you could say to student finance and my last message is the suggestion.