RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I need some answers regarding SEND and school admissions. My

Customer Question

I need some answers regarding SEND and school admissions. My son has been offered a place at a local grammar school but the school has appealed to the Secretary of State. I need to understand the appeal procedure, timescales, do we get to input into the appeal and what are the risks for my son. Can he lose his position and if he does, where does that leave him as he originally got his second choice which is another local grammar school. Can he then go back to the other grammar school and ask for the place or does he lose his place.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are in Walsall, UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Originally, I put in an appeal against their refusal to offer my son a place as he was only a few marks off the last person offered a place from the waiting list and he was well above the qualifying score for the school, The appeal date came and I realised how late it was so I put in a complaint. By then the local authority issued them a formal notice and they made an offer. They have now appealed to Secretary of State saying the local authority have not acted lawfully.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can give a lot more details, how detailed do you want my response to be? I have notes from my appeal which give you full details, I can cut and paste those into the chat.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The documents I have just uploaded are my original appeal to the school. I will share their appeal to Secretary of State which contains more documents including his EHCP.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have just sent you the letter from the school to the Secretary of State. Next I will share my notes and supporting evidence I have prepared and sent to the local authority responding to the issues they have raised.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (Z52LT34)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (1VT7PV1)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 days ago.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Happy to wait, please let me have your response as soon as possible.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist ifi in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** assess the merits of the case from the notes unless I was instructed.  However in terms of the appeal process, to answer your questions; firstly, the timelines will vary depending on the saturation of the tribunal process.  You will, of course be advised of any timelines, and you will have the the full opportunity to defend the action in full.  However, if their appeal is upheld, then unfortunately yes they could deny your son's position a the school. If you feel it necessary to do so you could look at having the merits of your case assessed in full by instructing someone to review this for you.  However the most important aspect is that you will be allowed to present your evidence to defend the appeal in full.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.