How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26471
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My wife and I are trying to help an elderly and disabled

Customer Question

My wife and I are trying to help an elderly and disabled relative who lives with her granddaughter in an housing association property. The property is in need of rewiring and it has no form of heating since the gas supply was disconnected last year due to it being unsafe. Neither the kitchen or the bathroom have been improved since they moved into the property in the 1970s.The association are going to rewire, install gas central heating, repair the walls after the work and they are considering carrying out improvements to the kitchen and bathroom.The tenants will need to move out during the work at their own expense and when they return will be responsible for carrying out all redecoration.The work was originally planned for last November when the association offered hotel accommodation during the work. However, due to fears about COVID and some mental incapacity of the granddaughter they refused to allow the work to be done.I understand the frustration of the association in dealing with the tenants but still I think that more help could be offered especially since my wife and I have got involved to help facilitate the programme of work. Our problem is that we have no idea what we should expect from the housing association or what the obligations of the tenants are. Should we just accept what is offered by the association or are the tenants entitled to alternative accommodation? Is redecoration after the work the tenant's responsibility?Thank you for your anticipated help.Yours sincerely,Tony and Jane Ruston.07411 122298, 07816 945625, 01939 210432
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have obtained third party consent to speak to the housing association and have had one meeting with the association's liaison officer. A 28 day possession order was obtained on the 19 April so we have to move possessions from the home and arrange alternative accommodation for the family and afterwards redecorate.
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: 25 White Hart, Shrewsbury SY3 7TB
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.
I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.
Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Can I clarify what the issue is here please - is it the elderly tenant, granddaughter or both?

and why did the granddaughter refuse the hotel?

what do you think would be suitable?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The granddaughter has had a mental breakdown and is currently assigned to a mental health care professional. Both she and her grandmother have what most of us would think is an unreasonable fear of Covid. They couldn't cope with the stress of the move especially moving all the possessions that are in the way. The house is clean but cluttered and it was all too much. With help to clear the house they have now agreed to move to the home of a relative during the work While they have not been easy tenants to deal with I would have thought the housing association could do more, especially redecorating after the work. I just want to know what can we legally expect from the association?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Somewhat surprisingly, the housing association does not have to provide alternative accommodation. I find that bizarre but that’s the situation unless there is something in the tenancy agreement which says that they do in the circumstances. However that’s unlikely.

They are responsible however for moving the tenant out and moving the tenant back in and the tenant is obviously not responsible for the rent in the interim.

It would not be unreasonable for the property to be put back in the condition that it was when they left because they leave the property is a mess, what they are actually asking the tenant to do by decorating it is improve it.

I’m sorry, I appreciate that a lot of this is not the answer you wanted.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards


Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Can I help you any further with this?

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards


Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello again.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The fact is that I don't trust your company. I became suspicious when my card was rejected and an alternative was requested. I have terminated my contract and reported the transaction to my card company. If my fears are unfounded then I'm sorry and I thank you for the work you have done. However I have already obtained advice elsewhere and so my decision is final.
Kind regards,
Tony Ruston.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

No problem.

I have no control over money, I only answer questions. Indeed, I couldn’t access that part of the system even if I wanted to.

However you can contact customer services because they are very helpful.

Please try this

or this one


Kind regards

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

I am glad to help