How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4410
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I’m self employed, i live in Hertfordshire I’ve had to claim

This answer was rated:

Hi I’m self employed
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i live in Hertfordshire I’ve had to claim universal credit because of cancellations on and off since January, I struggled until April I’ve let my housing officer know the situation from the beginning, I’ve just received a payment from UC I’ve earned £330 last month,and all they’ve awarded me is £591 which is ridiculous as my rent alone is over £600 … am I supposed to pay my bills council tax /food????? I’ve contacted my housing officer who advised me to contact you….universal credit has just put me in debt as I’ve had to borrow money to live I Ithought they were meant to help people I’ve never wanted to deal with these people in the first place my stress level is through the roof
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: About what??
JA: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I’m not sure what he’s going to ask??…. My housing officer said there might be a one off payment that might help me???
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m really not sure what else I need to do??
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If I can’t afford to live without borrowing how am I going to pay£44 for your advice that could pay a bill???
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also I thought you were free??
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also I thought you wanted £5
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello ???

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am sorry to hear what is happening. Your housing benefit should be included with your payment for universal credit (UC). I cannot say why this claim was not included with your UC payment.

You first would have to contact your local authority to query the reason for this payment not being made. This information will allow you to be able to assess how best to move forward. It difficult you see to say how to proceed when you have not been given a reason for the payment not being made. Usually if an amount is being rejected you would have been told that this is the case and given a reason why.

Once a reason is given you would be in a position to appeal.

A good resource is your local citizens advice bureau. They are able to review your concern and assess your eligibility. They are also able to assist with an application or any appeals if one is necessary in your case. I recommend therefore going in to speak to someone at your CAB office.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks sooo much I understand what you mean I am waiting on a call from a uc representative later so I’ll be able to put my questions to them..thanks….how much ch did you charge me??

I do not know about fees. You are speaking to a Barrister today. I only answer legal queries. I recommend reaching out to our customer services team they will be able to assist.

ReadyLaw and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks

You are welcome