How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26406
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

The dwp wrote to me saying I owe over payments from 2007

This answer was rated:

The dwp wrote to me saying I owe over payments from 2007 15years ago can they do that
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Harlow Essex uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None so far wasn't sure what to do before I speak to them
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.
I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.
Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Can the DWP claim money owed from 15 years ago is that the question?

what was that for do you remember?

Stuart J and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
that's my question
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No thank you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry can't afford another £44
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What do I need to do do I have to pay back the £800 over payment

You have probably seen a pop-up offering you the chance of a telephone call at an extra cost. It is up to you whether you have a telephone call or not but do bear in mind that a 15-30 minute telephone call covers an awful lot of ground and you can get an awful lot of information in that time. So you can ignore it or go ahead or go ahead later. It’s your choice.

Meanwhile, we can carry on on here.

Under the Limitation Act 1980, there is a time limit of 6 years to pursue normal debts and 12 years to pursue debts which arise under a “speciality” such as a deed.

Unfortunately it doesn’t apply to money owed to the government otherwise you would only have to escape paying tax for six years and it would get written off which obviously it doesn’t.

. Assuming that you accept that you are only paid 15 years ago, make arrangements to repay and it would not be unreasonable for you to pay, say, GBP50 per month. They will no doubt jump up and down and argue that it’s not enough but just keep paying regardless because by the time they take you to court, you will have repaid it.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards


Customer: replied 8 days ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Didn't get phone call I didn't want and got charged cancel everything would like my payment back

I have no control over money, I only answer questions. Indeed, I couldn’t access that part of the system even if I wanted to.

However you can contact customer services because they are very helpful.

Please try this

or this one


Kind regards