Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am an AA Member 6356 0115 2754 5092. I am looking to buy a

Customer Question

Hi, I am an AA Member 6356 0115 2754 5092. I am looking to buy a used Vauxhall Cosa reg no ML08JYW. The HPI check by the dealer selling the car has " Not Cat C/D..... Advisory" on the record. What does this mean please? Regards, ***** *****
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live is Surrey but the dealer is located in Poole, Dorset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I want to view the car tomorrow, but have not made any commitments.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing at this moment
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. My name is Stuart. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today. I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law. Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Even a vehicle is a Cat C or D write off (which it isn’t) it doesn’t mean it is unsafe. It meant that it was going to cost more to repair than the vehicle was worth. On a car which is 15 years old, it’s not even worth repairing a bumper because that, with paint would cost GBP1000.

What has happened here is that the vehicle was in some kind of incident which was advised but the incident was so minor that it was not recorded.

I don’t how old this report is because the categories have now changed. C/D is now S/.N.

It changed in 2017.

Normally on an HPI report anything which is unsatisfactory has a Red Cross by it.

If it is satisfactory it has a green tick.

Advisory indicates that you should basically proceed with caution because there has been some damage but it’s not recorded. Ask the dealer and get it in writing.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help. I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this. It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have Kind regards Stuart

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your response. I will ask the dealer what the issue is and may come back to you. Regards, Norman
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Can I help you any further with this? I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask. Kind regards Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart