Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We bought a prom dress for my niece 1st May for £130.00. we

hi, we bought a prom dress for my niece 1st May for £130.00 . we were told by the staff of the bridal shop that any dress we like can be altered to size. so we bought a dress and paid for in full and made a appointment to go back and have it altered Tuesday 10th. she was quoted £250.00 for alterations. Now we expected to pay for alterations what we did not expect was to pay double the amount we paid for the dress. I called the store this morning to see if we could return the dress and order the correct size or change it for something in the correct size. I was told we had gone past the 7 day return policy and that i could find someone else to alter the dress. When i asked why we were not made aware of the high cost i was told that the sales assistance are told not to disclose that. I'm upset and would like to know where we stand legally
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i,ve phoned them this morning no joy. i've asked to speak to the manager but noone available. left my number for call back still waitig
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

I understand you have been quoted more to have a dress altered than you have paid for it. Were you made aware of the policy at any point prior to buying the dress?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
we expected to pay for alterations certainly not more than the value of the dress. when i asked why we were not made aware of the high cost i was told the assistance are told not to say

OK thank you, ***** ***** I just check how you paid for the dress?

I also want to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I will be dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We paid cash

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

The retailer would not have had to make you aware of the costs of the alterations due to take place and if you had any concerns about that then you should have asked them in advance what these costs may be, allowing you to decide whether you wanted to proceed with the purchase or not. As the purchase and the alterations would be considered two separate transactions, you cannot rely on the high cost of the alterations to reject the original purchase.

The rights to a refund will still depend on whether there was anything wrong with the dress to start with (i.e. it was defective), or if the retailer had a dedicated returns policy allowing you to return it for a refund. If neither applied, you will not have a legal right to request a return or a refund and would have to proceed with the purchase and simply not take up their offer of alterations and seek that service elsewhere for a more affordable cost.

I fully appreciate that this may not be the answer you were hoping for, however it is the legal position. Should you need any further clarification, I will be more than happy to discuss things further with you. Thank you

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.