Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

From a local charity, I need to know if donations given to a

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I'm Peter from a local charity
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I need to know if donations given to a charity can be used for gift aid
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: 1. I have been trying to seek advice on the issue but haven't received any.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Donations were made for the purpose of supporting the charity. Right now, the charity is in need of funding and wanted to apply for gift aid
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.
I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.
Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.
Is this charity registered with the Charity Commission?

and is it claiming gift aid that is the problem and if so why?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

It is the donor of the gift which claims gift aid, not the recipient. So it’s not the recipient that decides to get the benefit of it. Sorry.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 days ago.

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Can I help you any further with this? I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask. Kind regards Stuart

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Mr Stuart
I forgot to let you know, the donations were given via a company name.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 days ago.

Neither I, nor my colleagues, are aware that makes any difference. You can always contact the charities commission to see whether there are any special rules