How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78224
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

How can I prove that I have served a legal document? I can

This answer was rated:

How can I prove that I have served a legal document ?
I can prove that an envelope was delivered and signed for, but I cannot prove what was in the envelope
The company I am sending it to is a limited company, but has no telephone number or email address,
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What was being served on them? 

I also wanted to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm Serving a section 21 request for a written summary of service charges under LTA 1985
I've sent one before but they are denying it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks but I thought this time it did not need a phone call.

Thanks, ***** ***** denying that they received anything at all, or just that the notice was not in the envelope?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are the freeholder of a block of flats. They have never replied to any of my letters. When a solicitor wrote to them threatening court action, the property managing agent of the block, replied. They both have the same address, and I believe the same office. .
I am just trying to find a way ,that I can prove to a court that the envelope which I will send them, by recorded delivery, indeed has the legal document in it.
I'm sure sending by a solicitor would work, but that's going to cost me over £ 250.00 !! There must be another way .

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to go be going through.

The short answer is that you cannot prove what was sent in the envelope – it is too late for that now as you did not take any evidence at the time (such as photos of the contents, together with the actual envelope, etc). However, that is not required anyway and people are not ordinarily required to take such evidence to prove service of a document.

It is enough to have your own personal evidence, or an affidavit, confirming that the document was sent out and therefore should be considered served. They could try and say it was not received but you still have more proof than them, in the form of proof of delivery of correspondence, together with your own evidence of what was in it.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm going to try to find a small firm of solicitors who may just charge me for sending it for me.

There are also companies who are known as ‘process servers’ and who can serve official documents to third parties and provide a sworn affidavit confirming service has taken place.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks . I thought there might be a way. I'll look one up
Thank you

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you