ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I want to put a window at the back of my house. It overlooks

Customer Question

Hi. I want to put a window at the back of my house. It overlooks my neighbours field. There is no dwelling in the field, it just belongs to the neighbour. Do I need his permission to put a window in?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Devon UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None but we had an issue with the neighbour recently as we wanted to install a heat sauce pump at the rear of our property and he refused.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The field has dereclict barns running on one side that do not belong to the neighbour, they belong to a local farmer. If we put the window, we will not be overlooking the neighbours property, just his field.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi. Is there any more information you need?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is this amount for a call the cost of getting an anwser?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. No, you do not need the Neighbour’s permission for this.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

You would not need the permission even if their was a building there. There is no breach of any laws by you putting in this window without consent.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your response. May I ask another question about access to the land to put the window in and general upkeep?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Please go ahead with your question

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the neighbour refused us to be able to put a heat sauce pump at the back of our property because he said he didn't want people on his land ( it has to be serviced once a year and would take around an hour) Our house backs on to his field. Does he have the right to deny us permission to the back of our property for general upkeep, clearing gutters and servicing the flu for the wood burning stove. Does he have the right to tell us what we can and and can't do at the rear of our house?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Your Neighbour does not have a right to tell you what you can and cannot do to your property. He however can refuse you permission to enter his land. If you enter his property without his consent this would amount to trespass.