Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I am wanting to know whether reading published children's

Hi, I am wanting to know whether reading published children's stories in a baby and toddler class would breach copyright?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Haven't talked to a lawyer yet. I am in the UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None..just thinking about setting up a class and wondering what I can and can't include.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

for the avoidance of any doubt, though I am certain I know the answer to the question, are you specifically charging the public to attend to hear you read these stories or as I suspect would be the case, other stories simply to be read in the course of care provision or the group activity  is the case may be please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We are wanting to run a music class for pre-schoolers and base the music around a story that we would read as part of the class. We would charge people to attend these classes. Thank you for your advice!

Thank you. reading from or reading excerpts of a book in a class or group is considered "fair dealing" and enjoys an exemption under copyright providing you are reading from a book supplied by the authors publisher as opposed to for example a photocopy of the book.

in addition, it would not be considered fair use if you were to photocopy the book and distributed amongst parents to participate in the activity nor would it enjoy fair use exemption if you recorded the event and made it publicly available. There are differing opinions on whether it would be acceptable for use for you to record an event and then share it with a small group of people securely online though the prevailing opinion seems to be that it likely would be fair use to do so.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you that's good to know. We would always buy copies of the book and reference the author etc . Do you know if we could advertise the fact we are using a particular book in an upcoming class, as in 'next week's class we are going to read (book title)?' And do you know if we can make up our own songs which would reference characters or a storyline from a book? Thanks so much for your help.

in terms of advertising particular books, I cannot see any difficulty with this.

in terms of making up songs, this rather depends what you then plan to do with those songs. If they are simply to be sung in class then this should enjoy the same fair dealing exemption. If you plan to record the songs and publish a CD or MP3 for example that may require the permission of the licence holder if you plan to use licensed characters for example "Pepper Pig" etc which would enjoy trademark protection

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you so much, you have been extremely helpful.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will do. Many thanks

I'm very glad the above was of some assistance

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.