Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I need help with an gift card situation, Newcastle upon Tyne

I need help with an gift card situation
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Newcastle upon Tyne and Wear
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted them And i phone them and they keep on saying they can’t help but they keep lying to me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No there isn’t

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I'm sorry to read of the above. How may I assist in relation to the same please? In particular, what precisely is the issue with the gift card?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I need help getting it back and they keep on lying to me about that they can’t help me but they keep on saying they can so I am getting annoyed at this and I struggle with really bad mental health

thank you. Why do you need to get it back precisely? I suspect I am missing some key piece of information. Have you perhaps lost it for example?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yeah I did lose it and I bought it on Clearpay and i got £30 Deliveroo gift card and I put it on my account but I didn’t realise it’s one what blocked and they won’t let me get this back and they even said make another account and I did and they won’t give me it and also they said they either can send the gift card back but all what am getting is thisHi Stacey,Deliveroo monitors user activity and reserves the right to deactivate accounts found to breach our Terms of Service, which includes repeated unreasonable complaints or applying for undue refunds or credit, or any other good reason.Based on your activity, we will be suspending your Deliveroo customer account immediately and it will no longer be possible to order with us.We will not be responding to any further correspondence related to this matter.Best wishes,Rolando
Customer Care team

thank you. Following this, have you proceeded to open a second deliveroo account in your name?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It’s okay, yes I have
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don’t know what to do I’m stuck and making me mental health worse
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I even told deliveroo but they don’t really care

thank you. Having reviewed the account terms and conditions and terms and conditions associated with gift cards, from strict legal point of view, I think this may be potentially problematic.

The terms and conditions associated with the gift card provides that: "By purchasing and using a Gift Card, you accept the following terms and conditions: Gift Cards can be used to credit your Deliveroo account and are accessible on the Deliveroo website or app within cities in the UK where Deliveroo is available. You may return non-redeemed Gift Cards for a full refund within 14 days of purchasing the Gift Card from this website. However, once redeemed, you acknowledge that no refund will be made."

Meanwhile, the general account terms and conditions provide as follows: We may also close your account if in our opinion you are abusing our Service (for example, by applying for refunds or credit to which we do not consider you are entitled, making repeated unreasonable complaints, mistreating our staff or riders, or any other good reason). If we close your account permanently we will refund any remaining account credit you have validly obtained from our customer service team or Application following any issue with an order, by applying a credit to your registered credit card, or if that is not possible for any reason, by way of a bank transfer using bank details (provided you have supplied them to us).

Taken together, it seems clear that having redeemed the gift card against an account albeit one that is blocked constitutes redemption and as such, the if card value does not have to be refunded or returned to you. At the same time, the account terms provide that credit will be refunded where an account is closed but it does not mention reference to gift card credit.

However, it seems reasonable to me to infer that the obligation to refund credit would include gift card credit where you are not able to use gift card credit you have purchased due to the decision to suspend or close your account.

as such, in the first instance you may wish to consider escalating this matter to a formal complaint. One of the more useful ways of complaining to a company is to escalate the matter to their executive level - you will not likely receive an answer from the chief executive personally though this can happen but rather, they will usually have an executive team which has greater power than lower-level customer service representatives and often sort out issues quickly. you can find relevant email contact information in this respect of the following link:

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-3369582

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank so does this me I’m gonna get it back?

I cannot predict the response of the company but it seems to me that you have an argument in this respect. of course, in the course of making any complaint such as the above, you may be bringing attention to the fact that you have opened a second account which they may regard as an abuse of process following the suspension of your previous account and take steps to close it. You may wish to balance that risk is against the benefit of recovering the gift card

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay, thank you so and also I need help with sorting this link what you sent me
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Here you go

That looks like you are on the main page rather than the specific page to Deliveroo I linked above? In in the event, you can locate Deliveroo UK easily as its just an alphabetic list on the "D" page if for some reason you cannot link directly to it using the above link though it works for me

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you I try that now thank you

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay, I found this
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is this it?

That is correct. it should provide you with the relevant contact information be it email or otherwise as you prefer

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you and what you think is best email or ring them?

in my experience, for issues that are less than run-of-the-mill, a written enquiry is more productive than one by telephone

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you so much I will message you when I message the email

I'm glad the above was of some assistance

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Here is what I said
Customer: replied 6 days ago.

thank you for the update

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It’s okay thank you

if I can be of any further assistance, please let me know

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay, I think that’s all thank you and also would you be able to help me find the number or how to contact the Environment mental health it’s because mine and my partners landlord isn’t a really good landlord

this would usually be a case of contacting your counsel's main switchboard and asking to be connected. Very few councils publish numbers for individual departments any longer

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you and that’s all

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much, thank you for going out your day to help me with this situation. And thank you

not at all. I wish you all the best in making a recovery

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay, thank you and you too

many thanks.