How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1212
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I received a order for possession what do I do, Esher

This answer was rated:

I received a order for possession what do I do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Esher surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been to elmbridgebdouncil who wise house me . The application is pending on paperwork from the the solicitor that did
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm disabled waiting sergury
And on universal credit as can't work

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

To give you an overview of your enquiry, if you have rent arrears, your landlord may try and evict you. This is called seeking possession. To do this, in most cases they will need to follow a procedure that involves getting a court order. They can't make you leave your home without going to court first. If they do make you leave without taking you to court first, this is against the law.

In some cases, even though they take you to court to evict you, they may agree to let you stay on the property as long as you agree to pay back the money you owe and you don't fall behind with your rent again.

Getting a notice to quit or notice seeking possession doesn’t always mean you will have to leave your home. Your landlord still has to get a court order before they can evict you and they can’t apply for a court order until the notice period has run out. The length of the notice period depends on the type of tenancy you have.

In this regard, you should check your claim form for the date of your hearing and where it will be. You should go to the possession hearing as this is your chance to put forward your case in court and give reasons why you should stay in your home.

However, if you can’t go to the possession hearing, tell the court as soon as possible. Explain why you can’t go - for example, because you have to self-isolate. The court might:

  • arrange for the hearing to happen by phone or video call
  • change the date of the hearing

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Notice is now hearing was on the 3rd May possession asked for 17th of may

I can see you have requested a telephone call. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What's ap if possible

Unfortunately, I'm not able to take calls at the moment, but the request will be open to other Experts to help you. I am however available and happy to continue chatting on the platform.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Don't call can't afford 44

Don't worry, this matter will be taken care of by customer service. Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Possession has been for 17th may

I see. In that case, this is your chance to put forward your case in court and give reasons why you should stay in your home, especially since you are disabled.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
But the hearing was on the 3rd of May
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What happens now

If you were not able to attend the hearing, it would normally depend entirely on the judge's decision. It is either they can decide if an eviction can go ahead or the judge will dismiss the case if there's no reason you should be evicted.

MARTINT330 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you