How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31701
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Please can you just confirm- if my mum past away with no

Customer Question

Please can you just confirm-
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: if my mum past away with no spouse and left me her house which is morgage free the inheritance tax would be £500k limit am i correct?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: just looking at probate
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not really no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I'm very sorry to read of the above and please accept my sincere condolences for your loss.

You mention that your mother was not married at the time she passed away. May I gently confirm if she has previously been married and widowed?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no thanks, ***** ***** answer will do I have read it on the gov website but just wanted to make sure I had read it correctly
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

thank you. In those circumstances, as you suggest, providing your mother has not made any capital gifts exceeding usually £3000 per year ( though there are some exceptions to this which allow higher amounts to be gifted which I will not complicate this with in this it is relevant) in the seven years prior to the date she passed away, then you would be able to apply her standard £325,000 allowance to her estate.

In addition, if she has left her main residence to you as her either natural or adopted child (note that step children do not count) then you can in addition to the above £325,000 allowance, also apply a so-called main residence nil rate band in respect to her property.

Accordingly, if the property is worth £175,000 or more, this gives you subject as above a potential total of £500,000 as an allowance before inheritance tax is assessed

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok thank you for your help
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thanks bye
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I'm very glad the above was of some assistance

Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.