How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31730
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I have an issue with Affinity water, I was living in my

Customer Question

Hi! I have an issue with Affinity water
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I was living in my previous flat for 2 and a half year and i always had the feeling that i have to pay way too much. 440£ / year/ 1 person. I tried to sort it out how but affinity not helping
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I was in Houghton Regis
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i emailed them not once
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the last time i sent them also with evidences that i have meter for the flat and we tested , its working (running) when the water is opened. I have the paper as well about the meter number but they said my flat is a non- metered flatCustomer: Chat is completed
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I'm sorry to read of the above. Are you able to kindly clarify your commentary in relation to the meter please? you make reference to having it tested?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I tried to call them but no answer. I sent email to ask them to investigate it how is it possible that i have a meter which is working and a paper about the meter with the serial numbers, the reading on 0.00cube meter and they said its non-metered. I paid 400£ already which i know is not much but i didnt want to pay for somwthing which doesnt make any sense. Now i have to pay another 1200£ and i was living in the flat and using water daily for 2 years .
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

thank you. Finally, can you clarify you reference to a zero reading? chili if the meter is working, the reading should not be zero?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Its on 400.2 cube meter now
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I didnt see the meter before just the paper about the zero reading. The last one was 1 month ago on 400.2
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

thank you. If you can demonstrate that the property was connected to a water meter and for whatever reason, the water company's records did not reflect this, and you were overcharged for water on a fixed charge basis which would have been cheaper based on the readings you took from the meter, then you can consider a formal complaint to the water company.

This requires them to respond to your complaint within a maximum period of eight weeks and if they fail to do so or if you are not satisfied with a complaint, you can escalate the complaint to the consumer Council for water the independent determination

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
what about the solicitors company? They sent me letters that i have to pay in 14 days. The Affinity water did not investigating anything just want me to pay out more then what i should
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

if you raise the matter as a formal complaint under the above process, then any amount demanded should be suspended until the outcome of that complaint is determined. If the matter has been pastor solicitors and they refuse to suspend collection proceedings, then you can give consideration to paying " under protest" on the basis that you would then make a recovery of any amount paid if your complaint is determined in your favour

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Then i will make a complaint as soon as possible. I can attached evidences as well, right?
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

you can include any evidence you believe is relevant to the claim which can be considered both by the water company initially and latterly if applicable, the consumer Council for water

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My last question is. What if i loose this procedures or if i win? Should i go to the court? Its really stressful for me whats happening between me and the Affinity water supplier. Im so lost. Just want ro get over it and pay a resonable amount for them.
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

there are no charges associated with referring a matter to the consumer Council for water.

If you are not satisfied with their decision, you can choose to challenge the matter in the County Court instead. Or indeed you can do so as an alternative to referring the matter to the consumer Council. If you decide to go to court, the latter would be determined in the Small Claims Court as it is less than £10,000 where legal costs cannot be claimed other than to the extent of minor double-figure sums

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help and advice. I hope my complaints will be right and they will see my pain and reduce the price. They just eat my patient and life with a lot of money with no reason.
I will be back if i have any other question.
Thanks once again! Have a good day for You and for your team!
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
For sure! Thank You!
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I'm very glad the above was of some assistance

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.