How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1259
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I got married last week on Wednesday to a uk national, I am

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I got married last week on Wednesday to a uk national
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I am in Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing steps taken yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am from Kenya. Married 1 week today

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

If you got married recently to a UK National, you can apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen. However, you must live in the UK for at least three years before the date of your application and meet the eligibility criteria.

You can apply for citizenship as soon as you have one of the following:

  • indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK
  • ‘settled status’ (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’)
  • indefinite leave to enter the UK (permission to move to the UK permanently from abroad)

And also:

  • prove you were in the UK exactly 3 years before the day the Home Office receives your application
  • prove your knowledge of English, Welsh, or Scottish Gaelic
  • show you’ve passed the life in the UK Test
  • be of good character

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have lived here for the last 3years but my main issue is how to get the NI or the next step before I get the citizenship

You can get your NI by applying here: Apply for a National Insurance number

Also, before you will apply for citizenship, you will have to apply for indefinite leave to remain first.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

MARTINT330 and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you