How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3521
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I am looking for legal assistance to sue my ex flatmates for

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking for legal assistance to sue my ex flatmates for unpaid rent and utilities. Is this something you can help with?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have moved out of the flat, taken my name of the utilities bills from the date that I began living in a new place. I have informed my ex flatmates how much they owe me for the final utility bills (water, electricity). They have also previously agreed to reimburse me for the rent I have paid for the remainder of the month after I have moved out. But now they are refusing to do so
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: In case helpful, the lawyer should know I am also planning to press criminal charges against one of the ex flatmates, for assault
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Is the value you seek below £100,000?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it is below 100k
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Thanks for the further information.

I suggest court action may be required to get the amount owed. However before you can start court action you will need to send a letter before action.

Therefore i suggest sending a letter before action which outlines reasons why you are owed the amount in question and failure to pay within a set deadline will result in court action.

Please see below a template letter format that can be amended to suit your position.

insert name and address) (insert date)


Dear Sirs,

Re: Claim for (insert sum)

I refer to the above matter and to the above sum.

[Then explain why they owe you the amount in question].

I note that, notwithstanding my requests for payment of £[insert amount], in respect of [amount of the debt], I have yet to receive payment. In the circumstances, I am no longer prepared to leave this matter in abeyance and, unless payment of the sum is received within [insert reasonable period of time, eg 30 days] of the date of this letter, I will commence proceedings without further notice.

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol for debt claims (“the Protocol”) contained within the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”). In particular, I refer you to paragraph 7 of the Protocol, and paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols regarding the Court’s powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with the provisions of the Protocol.

I therefore put you on notice of my intention to issue county court proceedings against your company for my losses should I not receive payment in full by 4 pm on (insert deadline date ). Should court proceedings be necessary I will claim the court issue fee and statutory interest. Should I succeed in obtaining a judgment, same will be transferred to the High Court for enforcement against you and your company whereby further costs will be added to the judgment sum.

I trust the above will not be necessary and I therefore look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

(insert name)

Please send the letter via post.

Assuming the letter does not produce the desired result i suggest you return to JA and we can assist you with the next steps which may be court action that you have put the person on notice about.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe