Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I am looking for legal assistance to sue my ex flatmates for

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking for legal assistance to sue my ex flatmates for unpaid rent and utilities. Is this something you can help with?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have moved out of the flat, taken my name of the utilities bills from the date that I began living in a new place. I have informed my ex flatmates how much they owe me for the final utility bills (water, electricity). They have also previously agreed to reimburse me for the rent I have paid for the remainder of the month after I have moved out. But now they are refusing to do so
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: In case helpful, the lawyer should know I am also planning to press criminal charges against one of the ex flatmates, for assault
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Is the value you seek below £100,000?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it is below 100k

Thanks for the further information.

I suggest court action may be required to get the amount owed. However before you can start court action you will need to send a letter before action.

Therefore i suggest sending a letter before action which outlines reasons why you are owed the amount in question and failure to pay within a set deadline will result in court action.

Please see below a template letter format that can be amended to suit your position.

insert name and address) (insert date)

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sirs,

Re: Claim for (insert sum)

I refer to the above matter and to the above sum.

[Then explain why they owe you the amount in question].

I note that, notwithstanding my requests for payment of £[insert amount], in respect of [amount of the debt], I have yet to receive payment. In the circumstances, I am no longer prepared to leave this matter in abeyance and, unless payment of the sum is received within [insert reasonable period of time, eg 30 days] of the date of this letter, I will commence proceedings without further notice.

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol for debt claims (“the Protocol”) contained within the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”). In particular, I refer you to paragraph 7 of the Protocol, and paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols regarding the Court’s powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with the provisions of the Protocol.

I therefore put you on notice of my intention to issue county court proceedings against your company for my losses should I not receive payment in full by 4 pm on (insert deadline date ). Should court proceedings be necessary I will claim the court issue fee and statutory interest. Should I succeed in obtaining a judgment, same will be transferred to the High Court for enforcement against you and your company whereby further costs will be added to the judgment sum.

I trust the above will not be necessary and I therefore look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

(insert name)

Please send the letter via post.

Assuming the letter does not produce the desired result i suggest you return to JA and we can assist you with the next steps which may be court action that you have put the person on notice about.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe