How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8975
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I need to what a specific court case against me is about.

This answer was rated:

I need to what a specific court case against me is about.

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

I’ll review and come back to you as soon as I can.

Which court is the case filled in and what area of law is this please - civil? - family?

Do you have a case number ***** any papers from the court?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This document, which I received from a former landlord by email.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I guess it is related to unpaid rents and an eviction.

Thank you. So, there has been a court  judgment against you for a sum of money that had to be paid by a certain date. You have not paid that sum.

The claimant in that case has now applied to enforce the order, and the court has asked that you attend to give evidence about your financial means before the court decides what to do as regards ***** ***** unpaid judgment debt.

We’re you aware of the claim against you and the judgment in the claimant’s favour?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I know about both.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What happens if I don't show up because I am not in London?

OK. So, in that case, is there anything more I can clarify for you about the reasons for the demand?

If you can’t make the date, you should ask the court to rearrange for a date you can attend.

I would advise against simply not attending. That risks orders being made in your absence.

Can I assist further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I did not receive the court mail myself, only the landlord emailed it to me. Does that change anything?
Also: How would I ask the court to rearrange for a date?

That doesn't necessarily change anything - the landlord may have been asked to serve it on you (send it to you) by the court.

You would first simply email or telephone the court and ask for an adjournment, or if they require a formal application, file an N244 application notice to adjourn the appointment.

Is there anything more I can help with today in relation to this?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What could the court decide to be done regards ***** ***** unpaid judgment debt?

It depends on what assets you have, if any, and what your financial circumstances are. There are various options, have a look at the link here as to what these are:

I trust that clarifies the point for you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
this is to "You can ask the court to collect payment from the person or business who owes you money (the ‘debtor’) if they do not pay you after receiving the court order."
Is it also (already) to "Ask the court to order the debtor to attend court to provide evidence of their income or spending, for example bills and statements."

Yes, exactly as I said earlier - they have applied to have you come to court to discuss your income and expenditure.

So this is something you will need to do, as stated above.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. You can request me personally on a new question thread saving my profile as one of your preferred experts and by tagging me (@PLCLEGAL) at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter.

plclegal and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you