SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Was my son racist, devon england, its a school matter, my

was my son racist,
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: devon england
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: its a school matter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my son was making monkey noises and a child walked passed at which point my son was told off for racism

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read it, and if I do, they will appear in my next response. It is important you answer all the questions I ask, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response.

JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Why was your son making monkey noises?

How old is he?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he has autism and adhd so is impulsive, he gets excited and makes monkey noises impulsively, he does it at home sometimes
he is 11
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i was just wanting to know if it was racism as he is being punished with isolation and has been reported to the local authority

Was he making the noises at the particular child who was walking by?  And was that child of another race?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the child i believe was another race and happened to walk past , at the same time he started making the noises, my son said he was making the noisess before he saw the child.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he says he wasnt making it to the child it just happened thatthe child walked past but the TA saw it so decided it was racism

In that case all you can do is plead your son's case and ask them to take his special needs into consideration if you think they are a factor in his behaviour.

Unfortunately for now, the incident was witnessed by another adult and that adult has perceived it to be racist behaviour and reported it as such, so it stands to reason the school will act on that report.  But as above, you should be able to plead your son's case.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he has no issue with anyone of any race. he is impulsive and they are aware of this, he has had over 40 detentions for his impulsive behaviour.

And that is what you have to say to the school in order to plead your son's case. He has a right to defend himself over the accusation.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he did ay he didnt know why he was doing it and they are punishing him tomorrow so i dont have any time to plead his case. thank you for your time

You should phone them and ask them to delay the punishment until you have had time to speak to them.

It isn't fair for him to be punished if he genuinely did not mean what was perceived.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank you so much i will get on to that now.

You're very welcome.

I hope you manage to get things resolved amicably.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading, or, once you have rated this question you will be able to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. When you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law. 

All the best!