How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7226
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

British citizen currently living and working in Canada. HAve

Customer Question

British citizen currently living and working in Canada. HAve an issue with a travel insurance company refusing to pay a claim. Can anyone help?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Uk citizen living and working in Canada.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Claimed. Claim refused. About to appeal but they are offering a flimsy excuse. I don not think my appeal will make any difference.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

What are you claiming, why have they refused, and where are they located?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
1 - While travelling around Costa Rica in December 2020 I sustained an injury.
2- I was left in excruciating pain after jumping with exhuberence while a photo was taken. Just a short silly jump rather than a leap.
3 - I was taken to a clinic in the middle of nowhere where I was placed on a drip, given painkillers intravenously and observed by the doctor for several hours into the night.
4 - The following morning the doctor advised transit to a hospital 2hrs away in San Jose
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The insurance company refused to meet the cost of consultation or painkilling medication. I paid for everything related to my care priior to leaving Costa RIca.
HOwever - the clinic have presented a bill for $4600 or so that the insurance company is refusing to meet.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They claim the sciatica that was eventually diagnosed as the result of a herniated disc at the hospital was a prexisting condition. And they are refusing to cover the claim on that basis.
HOwever, I have no prior history of disc herniation. I had previously been a very fit 45 yr old. My argument is that I sought emergency treatment - not treatment for sciatica.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
DO I have a case? Can you help? ANd can you reprsent me in the UK while I am living working in Canada?
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

Where is the insurance company?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The USA.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I bought the policy from SafetyWIng who work with a partner WorldTrips based in the USA
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
SafetyWIng is based in OSlo, NOrway and San Francisco USA
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

I cannot represent you, this sir=te is only for general advice, we do not actual take on the legal matters for you.

You would need to instruct a local attorney either in Canada or the USA to challenge the insurance company.

You would certainly need to obtain your own medical reports on you r preexisting health to disprove that you had a pre existing condition.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. I understand you cannot represent me. My question was more to discover where to seek legal representation given my circumstances.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

I would suggest a US attorney who deals in insurance law, there are bound to be some on  a no win no fee basis, and they would know their legal system best

Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No. That's all. Thank you.
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.