How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7164
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Can i get service for alimony and child support? NOPE WHAT

Customer Question

HELLO Can i get service for alimony and child support ?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: NOT YET
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  james bruce replied 7 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Do you receive any child maintenance at the moment?

Were your married or just partners?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i live in UK with 2 kids but my x husband live in USA. we were married in our home country so, i have no idea what to do ?
Expert:  james bruce replied 7 days ago.

Because you ex is not in the UK, you are unable to claim child maintenance via the child Maintenance service, because he is not here. You can however go via the court  to seek child Maintenance and then the courts can look at Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders. These exist between the UK and the USA

If one of the parents lives abroad (and the categories above do not apply) then the parent with care can apply to the court for child maintenance.

How you ensure payment of this child maintenance depends on whether the paying parent lives in a country where the Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders (REMO) applies or not.

Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders is the process by which maintenance orders made by UK courts on behalf of UK residents can be registered and enforced by the courts or other authorities in other countries.

This is a reciprocal arrangement which means that foreign maintenance orders in favour of individuals abroad can be registered and enforced by UK courts against UK residents.

I would advice that you seek a local family law firm to assist you with this, legal aid may be available to you for the costs.

The following link will allow you to look for a legal aid law firm.

Enter a local post code, select the area of law family, and a list of local firms will be displayed, then all you do is simply call one.

Expert:  james bruce replied 7 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much. Do you think it apply to me if i have tier 2 work visa and living in uk for last 3 years?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also, is there any single mom support to me
Expert:  james bruce replied 7 days ago.

Legal aid is means tested so the family solicitor form can advice on whether your would qualify.

I cannot help with single mom support as that is not a legal issue.

There may be local support groups in your area, ask at school, or church etc.

Expert:  james bruce replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I mean is the support from UK? I did not meant to be get free help from you. You misunderstood me
Expert:  james bruce replied 7 days ago.
as explained legal aid is available in the U.K. it is means tested.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok. thanks
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
sorry can i ask what category i should choose? there are a lot Family,Public law like that?
Expert:  james bruce replied 7 days ago.
Of course, you need to be looking at family law.