How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4399
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I am a Housing Association landlord and my rent has gone up

This answer was rated:

I am a Housing Association landlord and my rent has gone up by £40.00 a month of which even in this current economic times is excessive. Normally rent would go up by about between £5.00 and £10.00 per month rather than £40.00 like it has. My rent is supposed to be cheaper than private rent and its almost the same as affordable rent which isn't really affordable. Its about £565 up from about £520 per month as it is now. With the fact that I am a single person and I am the only breadwinner and jobs are so precarious and also the fact the I am on Council Tax band C and do get 25% reduction off of council tax a single person, it is still too expensive really. So I am wondering as the rent for social housing for social rent like mine is regulated by a regulatory presumably I want to be able to complain but I am in a assured shorthold and so its not a life long or assured tenancy and my assured shorthold tenancy runs out on paper after another 24 months I am worried that its going to become too expensive to rent here and I cannot afford to go into private rent and I cannot go back to my parents either soI feel like I am stuck?Could you point me in the right direction as to what I can do about this situation if they tried to get rid of my from my social housing if I challenge them on an excessive albeit regulated rent increase? What would say my legal options are in this situation, to hopefully reduce the rent slightly to a more affordable amount?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I said I was a landlord but I am a tenant sorry not a landlord. Sorry for the concussion.
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I note your concern with respect To the increased rent. However landlords for housing associations are allowed to increase rent up to 80% of the market rates.

Based on what you have said therefore the landlord would not have acted wrongfully.

All that is required is for the landlord to have given you four weeks notice of their intention to increase rent.

The above being said, if it is you wish to complain, social housing landlords are regulated by the Housing Ombudsman. This means therefore that if you do wish to complain, you may contact the Housing Ombudsman in relation to this issue.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for your clarification . I'll thrash it out with them in writing and I'll check to see if they gave the right notice etc. Thanks gain for your advice.

You are welcome .