How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4356
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My daughters have both comprehensive car insurance for their

This answer was rated:

My daughters have both comprehensive car insurance for their own cars, under the same policy. The two of them were in one of the cars and had an accident. The one driving did not own this particular car. The insurance company is refusing to cover costs? Is there any advice you can give on this?
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: N.Ireland
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: Initially we received communication from the insurance company that they were covering the costs but we received an email yesterday from them stating that this was no longer the case.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Two other cars were involved, literally my daughter drove into the back of one car which in turn hit another car. Police were called no criminal implications and both cars drove off. Insurance company are saying thy are going to sort the claim and then bill my daughter. Could be heading towards £20k.
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am so sorry to hear what is happening. I know this must be all very difficult for you and your family.

Whether the insurance company is required to pay out really depends on the terms of the policy. If the policy states that the car is only to be driven by the person named in the policy, then in these circumstances the insurers can legitimately state they will not pay out.

Alternatively, if the policy is open to allow anyone to drive with the policy holders consent, then there is no legal basis for them to refuse to pay.

The resolution to this issue really depends on the terms of the policy and what provision is made there.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks for coming back to me. Although the policy states only named drivers there is ambiguous statements in the policy which do warrant investigation. I will continue to investigate.
Thanks again

If you find the policy ambiguous you may raise this as a complaint with the insurer. If needed, you may escalate your complaint to the financial ombudsman for this to be investigated

ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

You are welcome