Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I put my ebike into Halfords for repair. It needs a new

Hi. I put my ebike into Halfords for repair. It needs a new motor. They have had it for 6 weeks on Saturday. I use it for work. It is so frustrating as I can not get any help from them
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Caerwent. South Wales, the bike is in the Newport store
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have phoned the customer service number about 12 rimes, spoken to staff and management in store. I have emailed customer service and been offered 10% off my next order. I called yesterday at 4:30 and was told someone would call back. I have had to rely on lifts from friends who I have given £100 for fuel and take 7 days holidays that I didn't need.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It's my only transport and I travel 13 miles to work on it. Last week when I phoned I was told there were 20 jobs ahead of me and I would have to wait up to 10 days. That means they are doing 2 jobs a day. That's ridiculous.
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry to learn of the difficulty you have been experiencing with trying to get your ebike fixed by Halfords on time. Have you contacted their head office at all to raise your concerns about the delay?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I phoned the head office number but it redirected me to customer service who said it's not possible to call head office.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have just had a call from you but no one spoke. I would like a refund for the call please

Unfortunately I am not available for a phone call at present so it seems another expert may have tried to call you. Please do not worry though, as your request is open to all experts and if someone else is free they will call you again. In the meantime, I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat.

I note you have contacted head office but are redirected to customer services. Please can you tell me if there is anything specific you would like to ask about this so that I can best advise?

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with some general information on this topic. Hopefully, it will still be useful to you. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

When a consumer enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that such services must be:

- Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

The issue is that there are various reasons why something may not be carried out as quickly as we may expect it and there could be many outside factors which could affect that and delay the work (e.g. staff shortages, shortage of parts and materials, etc).

If there is a backlog, then there may be little they can do to ensure it is cleared as quickly as possible and you may have wait to give them time. I appreciate it is frustrating not having your only mode of transport but that does not change the issues which may be causing the delays.

Your best bet is to escalate this further with them, as far as possible using their complaints process, and hope they issue some sort of compensation and push through the servicing for completion. If that is not possible, your only option may be legal action but that won’t be easy and there is certainly no guarantee that you will be successful. It is there if you need it, though.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.