How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GabrielP428 Your Own Question
GabrielP428, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 326
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
GabrielP428 is online now

I have got a letter about not reporting an accident in a

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have got a letter about not reporting an accident in a carpark area.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cambridge UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. I need to introduce the driver and write some explanations
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I need to know the cost for the lawyers

Hi, my name is***** am a solicitor in England and Wales with 9 years of experience and have worked in the legal sector since 2008.

This service is not instant, so please note that I cannot always reply immediately due to other work commitments. I look forward to helping you with your legal problem.

If you would like a call to discuss this further, please let me know

A call is a premium service that includes an extra charge.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about this.

Is it a letter from the police?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi yes, I am happy to have a phone call

A call is a premium service that includes an extra charge. Is that ok?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No it is very expensive. I can explain it here if you don't mind

I have sent you a premium offer. Otherwise, we can chat here.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I was trying to park my car at a public car park. When I was going backwards, I bumped to a car which was not parked at the allocated parking spot. I was not comfortable to park my car there anymore and changed its location. I got off the car and checked my car and the bumped car and I did not see any damage, so I did not leave any names or address. Now I have received a letter from the police to introduce the driver and explain what happened. These are the offences: failing to report an accident contrary,
Failing to stop and give name and address, driving without care and attention
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I would like to know your advice about writing of my explanations. I am very worried about the consequences of this letter

Are they going to prosecute you?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
At this stage they have not revealed anymore information. They would like to know who the driver is and if there is any explanation, I can add.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am still waiting for your reply

Thank you. I will reply shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

-You are only required to remain at the scene of the accident and to provide your name and address. if the accident has caused any damage or personal injury.

-The prosecution must prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that injury or damage was caused.

-If there was no damage or injury, no duty arises upon the driver to stop and/or report so you can't be found guilty of failing to do so.

-If damage is shown, the burden passes to you to show, on the balance of probabilities, that you did not know that there was damage.

-You will need to argue that it was a very low-speed impact at a carpark. (In legal terms, it is called low-velocity impact or LVI).  You will need to say that you inspected both vehicles, and there was no visible damage

I suggest you reply to their letter to explain all the above.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you

I am happy I was able to help. Thank you so much for using Just Answer. If you have further questions, please do feel free to ask them in this thread.

I have sent the premium offer that will stay open for seven days if you wish to speak over the phone at some stage.

If you have other questions, you can open a new thread and mark it for my attention (GabrielP428), or you can choose me in the subject heading as your preferred expert from your membership page.

Goodbyee for now. 

GabrielP428 and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you so much for your positive rating. It is highly appreciated.