How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26470
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My question is ....... I surrender a lease mid way due to

This answer was rated:

Hi, my question is ....... I surrender a lease mid way due to closure of business because of covid 19. My landlord asked for the keys to the property back June 2021, so I did as his solicitor asked. Now I am still trying to get a written statement that I have surrender the lease due to the creditors are still saying I'm active on their account until they get a written statement about surrender of lease. What is my rights and what can I do next
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: South West wales
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Issues on my part or his ....... He had the upkeep of the building and I had the upkeep of the inside
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been going through this with the landlord since Oct 2020 when I officially closed my business.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.
I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.
Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Do you mean that you are still waiting to have confirmation from your landlord?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
still waiting for confirmation from landlord

The correspondence from the solicitor should be sufficient to prove that you surrendered the lease although some parties can be remarkably pedantic about wanting a piece of paper.

There are a couple of ways at least of dealing with this. One is to let them have a Statutory Declaration as to the circumstances.

The other one is to take the landlord to court to compel him to let you have the document. His solicitor is just being lazy or it may be that the landlord doesn’t want to pay the solicitor’s costs.

What’s going to be quickest and easiest is if you offer to pay the solicitors costs for providing the requisite document. Quicker and cheaper than anything.

The landlord is not under a duty to supply the document.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards


Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks.

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Can I help you any further with this? I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask. Kind regards Stuart

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yep no more questions as of yet

Thank you.

By the way, if you would like to ask me a new question in the future, (not just clarification on this thread, then please just type @ (the at sign) followed by my name and you’ll be able to select my username to tag me in the question.

If you like, you can also put “For Stuart J only” in the question thread and then the other experts will know that it’s for me.

You can also tag me as one of your favourite experts.

Thank you

Kind regards.


Stuart J and other Law Specialists are ready to help you