Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have just had my electricity supply cut off for my

Hi I have just had my electricity supply cut off for my business. I set up a promise to pay which I have adhered to. But they now want amount in full and extras. Which has doubled the bill to £6,000 to reconnect
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hook Hampshire Rg27 9eh
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have made a promise to pay of £500.00 per week wish I have done
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

1. the payment arrangement was agreed by the supplier and from what you say, you have stuck to that arrangement since it was agreed please?
  2. Was your supply cut off?
  3. If so was this before or after the agreement you came to above assuming you did reach an agreement

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I made a promise to pay agreement, as they required £1500 which I didn’t have. I have made promised payment
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the supply has been cut off after I made the agreement

thank you. Was the payment agreement made on the basis that you would continue to receive a supply or was it made on the basis only that it would relate to the payment of the debt no obligation for the supplier to continue to supply you?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No obligation to continue.

thank you so. So to be clear, to remove any doubt, the agreement was simply in relation to the accumulated debt and there was no commitment on the part of the supplier to continue supply?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Apparently so .

thank you. If the agreement was limited to payment of the existing debt with no obligation to continue supply, then I cannot see that the supply would be restricted in terms of carrying out a disconnection in respect of the business supply agreement regrettably.

in circumstances where they have done so, where you have not secured a commitment to continue supply, any reconnection would be subject to the supplier's reasonable terms which could include repayment of arrears and standard reconnection charges though they may not unreasonably seek to profiteer beyond the above.

furthermore, a supply can usually prevent you from switching supply to another provider if you are in substantive debt to the existing supplier and have been for more than 28 days so you may not be able to seek supply from an alternative supplier until such time as you have at least significantly reduce the arrears. unfortunately, this may leave you with a limited range of options if the supplier is not willing to negotiate with you further

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh sorry I didn’t make it clear, I do want to continue with the supply , so my agreement included future supply.

thank you. May I recap please as I am now confused. Above I asked: 

So to be clear, to remove any doubt, the agreement was simply in relation to the accumulated debt and there was no commitment on the part of the supplier to continue supply?

You replied

Apparently so

Are you saying that was incorrect and that you are satisfied that in fact there is a clear obligation on the part of the supplier to continue to supply you providing you keep to the repayment plan agreed?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What I did was to arrange a payment promise we couldn’t set up a payment plan as I couldn’t afford to pay 1/2 the debt . Which was £1500 . Apparently this does not stop them disconnecting the supply. Although I promised to pay a weekly amount of £500 which would cover the dept plus on going bills.

thank you. unless there was an express commitment on their part as part of the agreement that they would continue supply, my view regrettably would be as set out in my earlier post.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you for letting me know. I will now sign off .

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now there obviously I'm sorry not as you would have hoped. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.