How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1215
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I need you (CA) to stop an enforcement order until I can

This answer was rated:

I need you (CA) to stop an enforcement order until I can sort it out. I sold a car for scrap about 18 months ago and have been sued by DVLA for no insurance. Whilst my dilatoriness may be to blame for the lack of communication on my part, I did send off the documents at the time. I couldn’t do it on line because the form would not accept the address given to me. Can you PLEASE help?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No, I knew nothing about it until last night. I live in Wales.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve tried to get Jacobs Enforcement to postpone the officer’s call but they can only do it if you (CA) request it. He’s due any minute. Please can you help?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t have that sort of money or goods to cover it. Time is of the essence. Thank you

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

To give you an overview of your enquiry, in most cases, if you haven’t paid a debt you might be sent a letter from bailiffs - they are also called enforcement agents, saying they will visit your home to collect payment.

You should first make sure your notice of enforcement includes the right information. If it doesn't, can complain to stop the enforcement agents from coming until a new notice is sent.

For your notice to be valid it must:

  • show your correct name and address
  • show what debt you owe and state the correct amount
  • explain that you have 7 days' notice before the bailiffs can visit
  • come from a registered bailiff, not a debt collector - you can check on the Bailiffs Register on the Justice website
  • be sent to you by letter - either by post, fax, email, by being fixed to your front door if you don't have a letterbox, or by being given to you
  • be written in a certain legal style

In this case, the bailiff could have the right to force entry to your home or business if they’re collecting:

  • unpaid magistrates court fines, for example, if you were given a fine for not paying your TV licence
  • tax debts for HM Revenue and Customs, for example, if you owe income tax

They will need to show you proof of what you owe and a 'warrant' or a document called a ‘writ’ from the court. You should check if any documents are signed and in date and have your correct name and address.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ve not been opening Mail, for a variety of reasons, so have not been able to challenge the decision. I need time, which can only be bought if citizen’s advice ask for it.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry, cant afford £44.

I understand you have received an offer of a call however you can choose whether to accept it or not. I am happy to continue here on the online chat function.

Did the bailiffs say they’re getting a locksmith to force entry to your home?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Can they do that if i grant entry?

If you will let them in, no they should not. However, in such cases when you decide to let them in and you can’t afford to pay what you owe straight away you will normally have to make a 'controlled goods agreement' with them. This means you will agree to a repayment plan and pay some bailiff fees.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I doubt if all my goods together would cover the amount. Can you hold them off until I can sort something out? PLEASE?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Please say if you can’t or won’t and I’ll stop wasting time.

Unfortunately, at JustAnsswer we cannot however you would be well advised to formally instruct a solicitor in your area. You can locate one here using your postcode.

MARTINT330 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you