Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

EDF energy have taken a large amount of money out of my bank

EDF energy have taken a large amount of money out of my bank account without telling me. Now I cat pay my rent this month and am likely to get evicted
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have talked to EDF, they say I owe the money but I have always paid by direct debit and I have not been able to access my EDF for over a year o line
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: NoCustomer: Chat is completed

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

1. I am very sorry to read of the above. May I clarify the debited this money by direct debit please?
  2. if so, did they give you any advance notice of that action? from what you say, I conclude that they did not? have you asked this question?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok, thanks Joshua
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Can't afford £44 for a live call, due to EDF drawing my bank account
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The money was taken by direct debit and I had no warning as I cannot gain access to my online account
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Why did you take money from my account for a phone call, when you can't call me.
Just when I have said I have had money I can't afford taken from my account

thank you. In relation to the phone call request, if you have been charged already for this which I suspect may be the case, you can contact customer services who will process a refund for you. They can be contacted in a variety of ways including telephone, email and chat via the below link or on 0808(###) ###-#### There are also self-service options regarding your membership available from the same below link:

https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us

in relation to the payment that has been debited by EDF, there are strict rules associated with operating a direct debit summary of which can be found at the following link:

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

As you will note, one of  the rules is that in relation to any payment is taken or any change to a regular payment that is taken, advance notice must be given to the customer normally of at least 10 working days of any payment that is to be debited by direct debit. Failure to provide advance notice is a breach of the rules and means you can invoke your rights under the direct debit guarantee. This allows you to contact your bank to advise that the particular debit in question was debited in breach of the direct debit rules is no advance notice was given to you of the debit that was taken and as such, you have a right to ask the bank to recall the funds which must be credited back to your bank account.

in the hopefully unlikely event that your bank refuses to cooperate, you can remind them that the bank is bound by BACS rules which include the direct debit guarantee rules which they are obligated too operate. further information in this respect can be found in the following link:

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/Howtoclaim.aspx