How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4055
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My ex partner and me used to have a joint bank account from

This answer was rated:

hi my ex partner and me used to have a joint bank account from wich we purchased a car and car insurance, i do not have a driving license and was never a insured on the vehicle, he drove the car whilst having illegal substances in his system and crashed into three cars and was convicted for this, i have now got 3 CCJs on me for the unpaid driving offences, my only involvement in this was that the insurance and car was paid for from an account that had both our names on it. all these offences and fines are in his name. how can i appeal this and am i responsible to pay them
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i am currently seeking advice, i have had a bailiff at my door today and have advised that none of these offences that lead to the CCJs are in my name, the only reason they have come to collect from me is that my card was used to purchase the car and insurance therefor that is the adress they have on file
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that is all the information i have at this time

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** could help me with a solution to my question i would really appreciate it, any information regarding how i can tackle this would be a massive help

Thank you I am just looking through this for you now.

Thank you, ***** ***** sure why they are pursuing you for this.  The first thing to do is contact the court, explain the. issues to them and if possible, provide the whereabouts of your ex partner (or parents address etc.).  You need to explain he does not live with you anymore.   It is likely the reason they are at your door is because that will be the only. known address they have for him.  

Prior to intimating small claim proceedings, you will require to send a letter to the respondent. It is a simple letter stating that if they do remedy the matter as you have outlined (in the same letter), you will take legal action against them. This is referred to as a. pre-action protocol letter. You can complete the forms for a claims action easily online. You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory. If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor, but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to. You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date. On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge, and they will response. The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you so much for this i will take this advise and get back to you if i have any more questions

You are very welcome and I wish you the best with this.