MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

UK, none, INHERITANCE and universal credits

JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: INHERITANCE and universal credits

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

May I confirm what is your legal enquiry concerning inheritance and universal credit?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hello, I am looking only for advice.My mother is about to inherit properties aboard. She hasn't signed yet, that she accepts the inheritance.My mother doesn't want to deal with inheritance, because half of the properties belong to her relative that whom she doesn't get along with. Dealing with property would be too stressful for her.
So my mother is planning to accept the inheritance of the properties and gift it to me, as soon as possible. The time between her accepting inheritance and gifting it to me might be between a few days to a few weeks.The problem is that she is on universal credits. The property value, which she is going to inherit, is around 14 000 pounds. If you have savings over £6000 it affects how much you could receive from the universal credit.So my question is, would her universal credit be affected, since she would only have the property for such sort of time, and she would just give it away? Will she even need to inform universal credit that she will have a property for such sort of time? Would universal credits get this information them selfs?

In most cases, if your mother will inherit a lump sum of money and it will take you over the savings threshold and affect her benefits, in this case, one option is to spend some of her inheritance on anything that she may need.

If your mother will buy a £40,000 luxury car with her inheritance, her universal credit officer will likely consider this purchase unreasonable and may sanction her benefits.

However, if she replaces her household's older white goods and furnishings with new ones and this brings her under the savings limit, this will usually not affect her Universal Credit.

Yes, the universal credit will have all of this information.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
To remind, the properties (flat and land) she is about to inherit are abroad, not in UK. so are you saying, she won't need to inform universal credits, even if all the inheriting documents will be done abroad?
Also, I am saying my mother is not going to have any money, she only going to inherit priorities, which value is around 14 000 pounds (15500euros). But in a few weeks' time, she is going to gift everything to me, her son, for free.
I am trying to say my mother is going to own a property for maybe 0-3weeks, and then she would gift it to me, and will not be owning it anymore. Will it still affect her universal credits and does she need to inform universal credits about it?

No, I did not mention that she won't need to inform universal credits. It is always better to report in such cases even if you're not sure because if your mother will tell the DWP late, she could get paid too much and have to pay her benefits back to the DWP. She may also contact the Universal Credit in such matters: 

Universal Credit helpline

Telephone: 0800(###) ###-####br>Telephone (Welsh language): 0800(###) ###-####br>Textphone: 0800(###) ###-####/p>

However, legally speaking, this should not affect your mother's universal credit.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thank you. okay, so because no properties belong to her yet, she doesn't need to inform universal credits about changes yet, or does she?
As soon as she legally accepts the inheritance of the properties abroad, she would inform universal credits about such changes? After she gives priorities away she would inform universal credits about changes? And the amount she receives from universal credits would not be affected?Another action my mother might be doing is that, on the same day when she legally accepts the inheritance of properties, the same day at the same lawyer's office she would gift it to me. so technically she would only own property for less than a day? Would my mother still need to contact universal credits to inform them she inherited a proprieties with the value of 14 000 pounds and then she gifted it to her son?

"she doesn't need to inform universal credits about changes yet, or does she?" - Yes, absolutely.

"Would my mother still need to contact universal credits to inform them she inherited a proprieties with the value of 14 000 pounds and then she gifted it to her son?" - No.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
my mother needs to contact universal credits now, to tell them she has the right to inherit the property, but it does not belong to her yet?

No, your mother should not report anything yet.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I understand everything now, thank you for your answers.I also want to ask. After I receive properties as a gift abroad, I believe there will be some taxes I will need to pay there already. The property value I will own will be around £14 000 will need to inform UK taxes, HMRC, or anyone about my owning a property abroad? Are there going to be any taxes I would need to pay for the UK? I might also sell those properties, so I would end up having money of around £14 000.

This would be better posed to one of my accountant colleagues. Would you mind raising the second question as a new question for one of my accountant colleagues?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I will. Thank you for your help!

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.