How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2400
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
John is online now

I am being harassed by someone who is also spreading

This answer was rated:

I am being harassed by someone who is also spreading misinformation about me. the unfortunate thing is he is a fellow director of our property management company which makes decisions on the development that we live in. he appears to be a narcissist. I want to both remove him from the board of directors and also warn him or prosecute him for his actions against me

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Thanks for your message, sorry to hear about this. You can send him a cease and desist letter. A Cease and Desist Letter acts as a warning that you plan on involving the authorities if the recipient does not stop an action or behaviour. You are able to access a free template here

If this does not work, then you will need to take legal action for defamation. Cases of defamation are complex and expensive, and the limitation period is only 1 year for a defamation claim, so ensure you issue the claim at court within a year of the incident.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi John, thank you for coming back to me. initially I would like someone to look at the emails and correspondence & request the emails he has sent to the other board members where he defames my character and trys to get me removed from the board. in order to write a strong letter and take matters further.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I think that would be better coming from a solicitor. i want to take it further

I understand. It appears your request would be outside the scope of service we offer here at Just Answer as we cannot form solicitor-client relationships, which would be required if we were to request certain documents on your behalf. As an internet forum (not a law firm) we do not act for people. We give information and guidance from a legal standpoint only.

In the first instance you should request the documents yourself, where if not provided you should seek to instruct a law firm because as you say it may be better and hold more weight.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi John, right ok apologies I thought if i was happy then you could act for me. no problem. I did speak to someone last week but they wanted £2000+vat to look at the emails and write a letter which seemed a lot
£2,000 plus VAT is excessive. A solicitor’s hourly rate will never amount to that much for review and writing a letter. I would suggest seeking another solicitor where letter writing should not exceed £50.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
he said his hourly rate was £450 & envisaged taking 4+ hours to review......seemed a really high amount considering that it will not end there
I see. It would probably be best to get quotations from at least 3 lawyers to see the average price. I am still of the opinion that particular figure quoted for you is excessive.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thanks for your help John are you allowed to recommend anyone ?
I would suggest you look at the law society website where you can filter the search to suit you. They can be accessed here
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what would this come under ~John ? i cant find a listing that relates
Dispute resolution/ civil rights etc
John and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you