james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My car was stolen outside my house within two mins of

My car was stolen outside my house within two mins of arriving home was all caught on CCTV, showes me arriving home get out of car and proceed to unload my shopping into the house via my front door making several trips to the pasanger door leaving door open to take items of the seat . Whilst I was doing this a person can be seen climbing over a fenced area as I live on a private road fenced off from the genral public area, he sneaks round the back of the car whilst my back was turned and casually closes the pasanger door then makes his way to the drivers door gets in starts the car up and reverse’s of on his rampage for two hrs crashing into several cars and eventually gets caught by the police. I can clearly be seen chasing after the car as it was stolen I was clearly in charge and present whilst the crime took place. The keys must have fell out of my hand whilst collecting the items of the seat the insurance are saying I broke the terms and condition of my policy by not closing or locking the door. As you can see this does not make sense I was unloading prior to returning the car to our drive way
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: mersey England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing as only just received the email today
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the person has been charged with theft with force wreck less driving and failing to produce drugs sample and has been held on remand
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very sorry to hear what has happened.

Unfortunately, you did leave the car unlocked and open and added to that is how the person was Abe to drive off with the keys to the car.

Because of this, the insurance company can as they ate decline to pay out, because the car was unattended with the door open.

As silly as it appears, yes you child close and lock the car door between each unloading trip.

In reality I fully understand that people dont do that, but it is brisk they tae, most likely without even thinking about it .

Unfortunately, if an insurance company can get out of paying for any reason, they will do so.

They have found a way to do so here as the car was left open, and therefore they dont have to pay out.

You can of course challenge that but I cannot see them backing own.

In which case you can then appeal to the financial ombudsman.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.