How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7245
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I’m buying a house that I have exchanged on, I’ve been

This answer was rated:

I’m buying a house that I have exchanged on, I’ve been paying rent while I’m waiting for a bridging loan to go through, can the seller get an order to complete while I’m waiting for that to go through ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Ongar in Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: A broker is dealing with a loan coming, I’ve paid for there solicitor and a valuation which has been done
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that is it
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Unless the buyer (you) has cleared funds available or can guarantee that those funds will be available on the day of completion, then they should not exchange contracts. When contracts are exchanged there would normally be a date set for completion. Therefore if the buyer cannot Co please sue to lack of funds, then yes, the other party can indeed issue an order to complete, which would usually give the other party 10 days to close the purchase.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What would happen if I have not received the funds in time from the loan company, but I am paying rent while this has all been going on
Customer: replied 14 days ago.

That really is up to the seller. After the notice to complete has expired they can pull the plug on the sale. However, if you are renting from them anyway and simply waiting for funds, I would imagine they would simply wait for the funds to clear

james bruce and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
But if he is not prepared to wait and I’m still paying the rent, what can he do?

They can cancel the sale, you would be liable for any costs they incur.

As for renting, that would be a land lord and tenant matter.

They could serve notice on you to leave and seek possession;

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.