How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1212
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

Do you provide advice on family law, from Birmingham UK, my

This answer was rated:

Do you provide advice on family law
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: from Birmingham UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: my husband just told me he wants to divorce me yesterday afternoon
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He wants me to leave the house within 2 days
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Can I know when will I get the advice from the solicitor
Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Many thanks for your response and support. Will it be ok for me to call you? When will it be convenient for me to call you?

Unfortunately, I am unavailable for a call, however if you do wish to speak on phone, one of my colleagues will receive the call request and arrange to call you shortly.

For the meantime, I can answer some questions for you through chat, if that's alright with you.

MARTINT330 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I am also more than willing to use the live chat.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Is it be ok for me to provide the main information of my case to you now?
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I mean is it ok...
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Many thanks!

Yes, of course. It would help me to provide a much specific answer on your case.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Yesterday evening around 6.30pm or 7pm when I just finished my teaching back home. I just wanted to have a short rest, sleeping in my bed. I was expecting my husband and two children coming back home from my mother-in-law's house. However, my husband came home on his own told me that he wanted to divorce me. He and my two children will stay in a hotel for two days. After the two days, he would like me to move out of the house.

Just to clarify, who owns the property? And what is your desired outcome for this?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
My husband owns the property. I really do not want the divorce, particularly from the perspective of my two children.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
There is an early incident with my younger son, which triggered the whole event.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
The week before Thursday, when I tried to persuade my younger son to prepare his SATS. He refused. Then he started to kick me. He kicked me so badly I had to call my older son to help me. During the couse, I smugged him. The next day my younger son reported this incident to his school. As a result, the police and social services are involved.

In the case of your husband wanting you to move out - as the wife, you have strong rights to stay in the family home and your partner would have to get a court order (e.g. an exclusion order) before they could make you leave the house.

If your partner tries to force you out, this is illegal eviction. Illegal eviction is a criminal offence and you can report your partner to the police. In addition, you may be able to take out an injunction, a non-harassment order or another type of court order against them to prevent them acting in this way.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Both on Friday and Monday after, I was in touch with the police and social services. It was shocking experience. But I felt that both the police and the social services have been supportive. They really tried hard to save my career as a teacher. But unexpected no Monday evening, my husband showed a different and shocking reaction to this event.

In the case of divorce - a divorce can be stopped if either one party in the marriage does not accept that the relationship has broken down or does not agree that the grounds stated in the divorce petition are correct. This is called a defended divorce.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Tuesday I had to take a second day off work. My husband refused to answer my phone calls. However, on Tuesday evening, He seemed ok. I provided the social worker's number for him to get in touch. On Wednesday evening, he told me everything is ok. So does Thursday, Friday and yesterday until he came back to the house to tell me he wanted to divorce me.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
He said if I refused to leave the house I will loose my status as a teacher, potentially loose my job.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Thank you so much for your advice. So can I clarify that it is ok for me to stay in the house.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I am a university lecturer, and I also own a community school working as a headteacher.

Yes, of course. As what I have stated above, although your husband owns the house solely, still as his married partner you gain occupancy rights on the property. He cannot simply tell you to move out anytime, and if he does take force to do this, then you are entitled to call the police for this matter.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
But he said because of the incident happened. My younger son was under the child protection. Consequently, I am accused of 'abusing children', which I strongly feel being misaccused. So I need to keep away from my younger son. As a result, I shall not share the same house with my younger son.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Therefore, he believes for the best interests of all of us we shall divorce or separate from each other, which requires me to move out of the house.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
If I refuse to do so, I will loose my status as a teacher, as some record will show in my DBS, which will prevent me from teaching in the future.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Is it okay for me to receive a phone call now? My mobile no is***********

I understand. Apologies for the delayed replies as I am not always online, but rest assured I will provide an answer as soon as I am.

To provide further answer to your query - by accused, I believe that investigation is still taking place, which means that the child protection hasn't been finalised yet. The investigation shall be carried out as soon as possible, and no later than 28 days. In this case, I would advise to leave the house for now in the duration of the investigation.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Really thank you for your advice. If I do not move out, what will happen? If I do move out, I am worried that my husband will start the divorce proceeding. As this is the marking time in the universe plus I am finalising my PhD, it will be very difficult for me to move out. I also developed a life threatening autoimmune illness, which is related to stress. Once again, really thank you.

You have stated in your above reply that there has been a child protection in place, and that you are required to not be in the same house with your son. If you do not comply, the social worker may take your case to court and ask a judge to start care proceedings.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Really thank you for all your very professional advice and service. I started to understand more of the situation now. It is really a very short period of time from the incident happened on week before Thursday and my younger son reported the incident to police on week before Friday, I have no understanding of the nature of this incident. I wonder if I can make an appointment to see you any time next week at your earliest convenient date. There are still many questions from my end. Once again many thanks for all your professional advice.

Unfortunately, this service is intended for general information only. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established. However, if you wish to meet with a local solicitor, you may find one by visiting the following website:

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Many thanks for providing the website as well as all your professional advice.
No problem. Thank you for your enquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.